*The head of Egyptian security in North Sinai and the kidnapper said two Massachusetts natives and their Egyptian tour guide, abducted four days ago, have been released.
Like EURweb on Facebook
Gen. Ahmed Bakr, head of security in North Sinai, said the three were now in the protection of Egyptian security officials in Sinai.
“The three hostages have been released. They are at security headquarters with us now, in good condition. The negotiations succeeded but we did not give in to the kidnapper’s demands, ” said General Ahmed Bakr, Head of North Sinai Security.
The kidnapper, Jirmy Abu-Masuh, said he freed the Rev. Michel Louis, 61, of Dorchester, and Lissa Alphonse, 39, of Everett, on Monday after officials promised they would work on releasing his uncle from prison.
He told The Associated Press by telephone after releasing the Americans that he wanted to grant them mercy, because they had nothing to do with his dispute with police.
“We are a people of mercy and they don’t have anything to do with this,” Abu-Masuh said, referring to the Americans. The three released captives later appeared at a police station in the northern Sinai city of el-Arish.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Sanaa Lathan Lands 'Racially-Charged' Drama, Hannibal Buress Debuts Unaired Pilot
- GOP Gov Freezes Funds for Chicago’s 'Operation CeaseFire' As Homicides Rise
- The Film Strip: Joe Wright on Diversity and Rooney Mara on Being Clothed in 'PAN'
- 'Blue Lives Matter' Billboard Campaign Aims to Honor Cops ... And Distract From 'That Other One'
- Snoop Dogg, Birdman, Jermaine Dupri, Damon Dash to Star in BET Reality Series
- Three 6 Mafia Rapper Koopsta Knicca Dies of Stroke at 40
- Freshman, 18, Dies in Shooting at Texas Southern University; Obama Protested in Ore.
- Baltimore Mayor Compares Cop/Community Relations to Bad Marriage
- Malcolm Jamal Warner: ‘Cosby Show’ Legacy ‘Tarnished’ by Bill Cosby (Watch)
- Raven Symone Says She Wouldn't Hire Someone With Ethnic Sounding Name; #BlackTwitter Pounces
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here