*More than any other group in California, African Americans stand to gain the most significant lift out of poverty from earning a college degree, according to a new report, says the Huffington Post.
Taking a deeper look at data from a study it released in April, the nonprofit Campaign for College Opportunity this month released more detailed snapshots of African American [PDF] and Latino [PDF] students, examining how they benefit from varying level of educational attainment in California.
To conduct the analysis, researchers from UC Berkeley and the California Census Research Data Center crunched data to estimate the revenues and costs of various levels of education – both for the state and for individuals. They used data from the U.S. Census, state funding for colleges and universities, average state expenses for social support programs and tax revenues.
The analysis showed that while college attendance and graduation result in economic payoff for all groups of students, a college degree provides the greatest payoff to African American students in terms of reducing the years they’ll spend living in poverty. Black students with a bachelor’s degree will spend six fewer years in poverty than black students with a high school degree. That’s a bigger gap than for any other ethnic group studied.
“Education is a powerful payoff for this particular community as it is for all, but there’s a bigger impact here in terms of poverty and income,” said Michele Siqueiros, executive director of The Campaign for College Opportunity. “In certain parts of the state, it’s really significant.”
Read more at HuffingtonPost.com.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Antoine Fuqua to Direct ‘Training Day’ Series for CBS
- Chicago Cop Fatally Shoots Teen, Then Sues His Family
- Jay Z's Tidal Selects #BlackLivesMatter for $1.5M Donation
- EUR Exclusive 'Hit the Floor Clip: Funny/Sexy Tension in 'Vegas (WATCH)
- New 'Ghostbusters' Character Images Revealed
- Kerry Washington Talks Pressures Black Women Face
- Cam Newton Stars in New Beats by Dre Ad Featuring Future (WATCH)
- Bronx is Latest Location for NYC 'Subway Slasher' (Lone Suspect is Red Haired Brotha')
- L.A. Reid Confesses to Wendy He Failed Whitney Houston (WATCH)
- NFL Great Jerry Rice is Driving for Lyft in San Francisco (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here