*Dick Gregory opened up the 2012 Summer TCA Press Tour in Beverly Hills Saturday morning with comments about how soul food is killing us.
“Until we learn about the human body…we go to Harvard, Yale, Howard to learn how to make a living. But the universal God force that created us don’t give a damn about you learning how to make a living,” said the 79-year-old comedian and activist, who tells his personal journey toward healthier food in the upcoming PBS Independent Lens film “Soul Food Junkies.”
From producer/director Byron Hurt (“Beyond Beats and Rhymes”), the documentary uses history and humor to examine this bittersweet culinary tradition, its roots in slavery, the scarcity of healthy food in America’s inner cities and much more.
“If we don’t learn how to live, you can have 12 doctorate degrees and be dead at 35,” said Gregory.
He continues below, and explains why his food journey has him “really angry at white folks.”
“Soul Food Junkies” will premiere on PBS in January. Watch the trailer below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Video of Chicago Police Officer Shooting Laquan McDonald Released (WATCH)
- (Video) WATCH: New 'Zootopia' Trailer
- Patti LaBelle Wants to Work with Fetty Wap, Talks Pie Success [WATCH]
- ‘Empire’: Alicia Keys Storyline to Explore Biracial Issues (Watch)
- Erased Burger King Footage in Laquan McDonald Shooting Tested for ‘Tampering’
- Videos Show Armed White Men Threatening #BlackLivesMatter Minneapolis Activists (Watch)
- Arthur Ashe Items From Private Collector Headed to Auction
- Serena Williams Devastated Over Death of Dog Jackie (Video)
- Patti LaBelle Invites James Wright Chanel to Thanksgiving Dinner; Admits Video Increased Sales
- Report: Tyga Hooked Up With Same Porn Star as Charlie Sheen; Jenners in 'Meltdown Mode'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here