The 45-year-old veteran rapper is using his fame to push good health. A vegetarian, Fresh believes the key to a good life is good health, reports Ebony.com.
“Health has always been an important thing to me. I exercise and try to take care of myself, and drink a lot of water! And I push that to my kids so that they can carry on that same energy,” said Fresh.
One of his biggest projects has been a partnership with New York Dr. Olajide Williams in a fight against childhood obesity. Together they managed to merge a youth movement with health as an avenue to educate African American and Latino children about the disease and healthy alternatives through a program called Hip Hop Public Health.
Like EURweb on Facebook
The initiative engages young people through music, videos and comic books, along with live shows at schools.
As the program’s Vice President of Entertainment, Doug E. stated that he “felt like it was necessary to take what people love, which is hip-hop, and use it as tool to get kids motivated.”
He also mentioned that he wants children and parents to develop strong healthy relationships to help move the future in a healthier direction.
“I told my father to stop smoking around the age of two or three years old and he stopped smoking,” he shared. “So the relationship between the kid and the parent is very powerful and if you give the kid the right information, it can be very useful to the family. That was the whole premise of this concept.”
Learn more at Ebony.com.
- Why Aren't Our Black Celebrities Supporting Black Theatre ... Financially?
- Bobby Shmurda's Girlfriend Busted Smuggling Shank Into Rikers
- B.Scott Accompanies Laverne Cox to BET Awards
- Nick Cannon Weighs in on Mariah Carey and her New Man
- Jason Derulo Misjudged Potential of New Song ‘Want to Want Me’
- Watch Beyonce Frolic in Rainbow Gear to Celebrate Marriage Equality
- Emmitt Smith Backs Out of Judging Miss USA Pageant
- Serena, Venus Advance at Wimbledon, One Step Closer to Facing Each Other
- SF 49er RB Reggie Bush Puts MI Home on Market for $2.4M (Pics)
- NeNe Leakes, Betty White, Anthony Anderson Lead ABC’s ‘To Tell the Truth’ Reboot
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here