With the exception of the supremely flawed war film “Miracle at St. Anna” in 2008 and the mess that was “She Hate Me” in 2004, Lee’s work in the 21st century has been just as great as his arresting early work – films and documentaries the equivalent of his masterpieces “Malcolm X,” “Do the Right Thing” and “Crooklyn.”
“25th Hour” remains one of the truly under appreciated American films of the last decade (Roger Ebert agrees; check out his Great Movies entry for it here) and “Inside Man” is a crackling, winking throwback to the great crime films of the 1970s, with Lee again making great use of his longtime collaborator Denzel Washington alongside some welcome new additions to his acting stable (we’d love to see him develop something for the great Chiwetel Ejiofor).
Even more accomplished than his film work, though, has been his work in documentary features. Lee has used the medium to chronicle the natural disaster of Hurricane Katrina (“When the Levees Broke” and “If God is Willing and Da Creek Don’t Rise”) one day in the life of basketball’s greatest modern superstar (“Kobe: Doin’ Work”) and the career of a true sports icon (“Jim Brown: All-American”), all in his trademark style. They’ve been worthy additions to a rather spectacular career.
There couldn’t be a better follow-up to his great recent work than “Red Hook Summer” – a return to the Brooklyn streets explored in “Right Thing,” with a screenplay by Lee and the great James McBride (the author of “The Color of Water”) an appearance by Lee’s character Mookie and, best of all, starring the amazing Clarke Peters, who provided the soul for “The Wire” as Det. Lester Freamon. What a combination.
In a year that will see new films from other A-list American directors – including Steven Spielberg and Paul Thomas Anderson – Spike Lee’s newest joint should be right up there in the Oscar race.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 'Too Close' Singer Raphael Brown Wins Sole Custody Of Children
- Naked and Unarmed Black Teen Fatally Shot by Austin, TX Police
- ‘Memory Hackers’ (PBS): Not Just a ‘Men In Black’ Thing Anymore
- Video Stories About 'Good Cops' Show Up (Mysteriously) in My Inbox - Should I Be Concerned?
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: It’s Still a Woman Thing with Hillary
- Blake Griffin Suspended 4 Games For Punching Clippers Trainer
- Hymn to Him: The Power of Congregational Singing!
- Patti LaBelle Joins ‘The Voice’ As Advisor to Christina Aguilera
- Khloe Kardashian Joins OkCupid After Split From James Harden
- LeSean McCoy: Video of Club Brawl With Off Duty Cops (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here