*Florida’s Lt. Governor has apologized for insulting (black) lesbians. We are so not surprised.
If you recall, Jennifer Carroll, a conservative Republican, was accused of getting caught in a compromising position with her top aide, a female.
Being a member of Rick Scott’s cabinet, as the Miami New Times pointed out, she responded in the worst way possible: By insulting all black lesbians everywhere.
After more than a week of pressure and hundreds of online signatures, Carroll finally apologized last night, calling her comments “wrong and inexcusable.”
Carroll ignited a firestorm on July 17 when she defended herself from the accusations by saying, “Usually black women who look like me don’t engage in relationships like that.”
In response, dozens of black women who do engage in “relationships like that” began inundating Carroll’s Facebook page. Equality Florida soon launched an online drive to get an apology from the state’s second-in-command.
A week and a half later, she’s decided to clear the air with this statement:
“It is wrong and inexcusable to make a comment that hurts people, and that was not my intention. As a Christian, my faith guides me to love and respect all people. The false charges that have been lodged against me are no excuse for what I have said that may have been hurtful to members of your organization and to other Floridians. Please know that I am committed to treating every person with the utmost courtesy, respect and dignity and I hope you will accept my heartfelt apology.”
Equality Florida says it’s accepted the apology, noting that “apologies by elected leaders for public mistakes are rare.”
Read/learn more at Miami New Times.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (11-26-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- (Listen) ‘The Meaning of Life, Explained By 3rd Graders’ is Brilliant and On Point!
- Nivea Dishes about Her Feelings on Lil Wayne, Christina Milian (Watch)
- Akon and His Mother Owes $36K for Pimped Out Mansion
- Khloe Kardashian Not Spending Thanksgiving With Lamar Odom
- Gonna Fly Now: ‘Creed’ Sets Pre-Thanksgiving Record with $1.4M Box Office
- Black Student Criticizes WWU For Ignoring Racist Threats Against Her
- EUR on Set with 'Rosewood's' Morris Chestnut & Taye Diggs WATCH)
- Greg Hardy Cancels Thanksgiving Nightclub Gig Over ‘Public Image’?
- South African Girl in Chris Rock’s Family Here On ‘Visitor Visa’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here