*Florida’s Lt. Governor has apologized for insulting (black) lesbians. We are so not surprised.
If you recall, Jennifer Carroll, a conservative Republican, was accused of getting caught in a compromising position with her top aide, a female.
Being a member of Rick Scott’s cabinet, as the Miami New Times pointed out, she responded in the worst way possible: By insulting all black lesbians everywhere.
After more than a week of pressure and hundreds of online signatures, Carroll finally apologized last night, calling her comments “wrong and inexcusable.”
Carroll ignited a firestorm on July 17 when she defended herself from the accusations by saying, “Usually black women who look like me don’t engage in relationships like that.”
In response, dozens of black women who do engage in “relationships like that” began inundating Carroll’s Facebook page. Equality Florida soon launched an online drive to get an apology from the state’s second-in-command.
A week and a half later, she’s decided to clear the air with this statement:
“It is wrong and inexcusable to make a comment that hurts people, and that was not my intention. As a Christian, my faith guides me to love and respect all people. The false charges that have been lodged against me are no excuse for what I have said that may have been hurtful to members of your organization and to other Floridians. Please know that I am committed to treating every person with the utmost courtesy, respect and dignity and I hope you will accept my heartfelt apology.”
Equality Florida says it’s accepted the apology, noting that “apologies by elected leaders for public mistakes are rare.”
Read/learn more at Miami New Times.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Wendy Raquel Robinson Pays Tribute to Iconic Artist Prince
- Kelly Rowland's New Music Series Has Her Missing Destiny’s Child
- Tyra Banks, Misty Copeland to Speak During Essence Experience
- Tyler Perry Talks Following His Own Path to Saving OWN
- John Singleton and Gary Owen Score BET Series Deals
- Opinion: Presidential Correspondence Dinner not a Place for the word 'Ni*ga'
- Wendell James Grand Marshall for Long Beach Pride Parade
- Prince Update: Family Gifted Big Bucks by George Lopez
- Latice Crawford Releases ‘Diary of a Church Girl’ May 20
- Wilmore's 'My Ni*ga' to Obama Gets Black Twitter Approval, But not Najee Ali
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here