*Racine, Wis. — Two-time NBA All-Star Forward and Los Angeles Clipper Caron Butler announced a $200,000 donation to four local charities and the creation of The Caron Butler Youth Basketball League as part of his two-day charity weekend in his hometown of Racine, Wis.
Caron also hosted a “Get Active with Caron Butler” workshop for over 200 area youth emphasizing the importance of exercise and a healthy lifestyle. The weekend is a continuation of Butler’s 3D-Discipline, Determination and Dedication-program which guides his community efforts. Through various activities and donations, Racine has been the recipient of Butler’s generosity throughout his NBA career.
“Today was a special day for me and my family,” said Butler. “It is important for anyone who becomes successful to remember the people who helped them along the way and pay that help forward. That is what I am trying to do here and I hope that through the monies donated today, doors will continue open for the youth in Racine to live a happy and productive life.”
This year’s recipients of Butler’s financial commitment include United Way of Racine County, The YMCA, Juneteenth Foundation, and the George Bray Center, all of which will share in the $200,000 donation Butler has made on his own. The donation was announced at an 11:00 am press conference where Butler was joined by representatives of the charities and organizations, as well as community representatives and officials.
The press conference was followed by a health and wellness “Get Active with Caron Butler,“ workshop where children ages five to 15 participated in a number of activities focused on exercise and a healthy lifestyle. Friday’s activities will conclude with a dinner hosted by Butler for families of the United Way’s Advancing Family Assets (AFA) program that helps low wage working families.
The charity weekend continues tomorrow as Butler hosts a Teen Summit and the Butler Foundation Block Party. The Summit will feature celebrity panelists including Caron Butler, BET 106 and Park Host Rosci and MSNBC and White House Correspondent Jeff Johnson acting as moderator. The weekend events will conclude with the Butler Foundation Block Party which is open to all ages as community members are invited to bring their entire family for food and fun.
A full schedule of events is listed below. The press is invited to attend and cover all activities.
CARON BUTLER FOUNDATION
CHARITY WEEKEND SCHEDULE
*All Times Are Central*
Saturday, July 21
11:00 a.m. Teen Summit
Local teens ages thirteen to sixteen are invited to participate in a Teen Summit focusing on reality and social issues. Celebrity panelists include Caron Butler, BET 106 & Park Host Rocsi and MSNBC and White House correspondent Jeff Johnson as moderator.
Location: Memorial Hall, 72 7th Street, Racine, WI 53403
4:00 p.m. Butler Foundation Block Party
Community members are invited to bring their entire family for food and fun as Caron Butler hosts a neighborhood block party.
Location: Dr. John Bryant Community Center, 601 21st Street; Racine, WI 53403
Proud Winner of 2009 Anvil Award
- Lorraine Toussaint Talks Playing Morris Chestnut’s Mama on ‘Rosewood’
- O.J. Simpson Fuming: Women Have Stopped Sending Him Commissary Money
- Gospel Sensation Naomi B Releases New Single, ‘Break Free’ (LISTEN)
- White Police Chief Gets Home Detention for Killing Unarmed Black Man
- Casting Complete for Brandy’s New BET Series ‘Zoe Ever After’
- Rosie O’Donnell Checks Elisabeth Hasselbeck for Calling #BlackLivesMatter a Hate Group
- Perspective on Harris Co. Deputy's Death by Project 21 Member Who Served with Him
- RHOA Fight: Cynthia Bailey Kicked Porsha Williams in the Stomach (Report)
- James Bond Author Now ‘Sorry’ for Calling Idris Elba ‘Too Street’
- Janet Jackson Drops Missy Elliott Collabo at ‘Unbreakable’ Tour Launch (Clips)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here