*Mariah Carey will be crowned a “BMI Icon” at the BMI Urban Awards on Sept. 7 in Beverly Hills, reports the Los Angeles Times.
Each year, one songwriter affiliated with the publishing rights organization is singled out as a BMI Icon for his or her “unique and indelible influence on generations of music makers.”
Carey has had 18 No. 1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, tying Elvis Presley among solo acts and behind only the Beatles, whose singles made it to the top of the chart 20 times. She wrote or co-wrote most of her signature hits.
Previous honorees include James Brown, Little Richard, Al Green, Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton and Snoop Dogg.
The award ceremony, to be held at the Saban Theatre, also recognizes other BMI songwriters whose works have made a significant impact on pop music in the previous year.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: It’s Still a Woman Thing with Hillary
- Blake Griffin Suspended 4 Games For Punching Clippers Trainer
- Hymn to Him: The Power of Congregational Singing!
- Patti LaBelle Joins ‘The Voice’ As Advisor to Christina Aguilera
- Khloe Kardashian Joins OkCupid After Split From James Harden
- LeSean McCoy: Video of Club Brawl With Off Duty Cops (Watch)
- DMX Hospitalized After Discovered Unconscious at Hotel
- Red Lobster Sales and Social Media Soar Since Beyonce’s ‘Formation’
- EUR Celebrates Black History Month - From AFRICAN SKETCHBOOK to OUR ROOTS
- What?! All Traces of Rapist-Cop Daniel Holtzclaw Gone from Database
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here