*Mariah Carey will be crowned a “BMI Icon” at the BMI Urban Awards on Sept. 7 in Beverly Hills, reports the Los Angeles Times.
Each year, one songwriter affiliated with the publishing rights organization is singled out as a BMI Icon for his or her “unique and indelible influence on generations of music makers.”
Carey has had 18 No. 1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, tying Elvis Presley among solo acts and behind only the Beatles, whose singles made it to the top of the chart 20 times. She wrote or co-wrote most of her signature hits.
Previous honorees include James Brown, Little Richard, Al Green, Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton and Snoop Dogg.
The award ceremony, to be held at the Saban Theatre, also recognizes other BMI songwriters whose works have made a significant impact on pop music in the previous year.
- Boy, 8, Youngest to Receive Successful Double Hand Transplant (Watch)
- Woman in China Pushes Child to Safety Before Falling to Her Death on Escalator (Video)
- Future Scores First No. 1 Album with ‘DS2’; Tyrese's 'Black Rose' No. 3
- Sherri Shepherd Returning to 'The View' as Contributor
- Drake Claps Back at Meek Mill in ‘Back to Back’ (Listen)
- Tyler Perry ‘Keeping the Peace' Between Houston, Brown Families
- WATCH: 'Mega Fest of the West' takes overs Long Beach with Celebs & Gospel Artists!
- Raven-Symone Says Caitlyn Jenner’s Moving ‘Too Fast, Too Soon’
- Mary J. Blige, Queen Latifah Join NBC’s ‘The Wiz Live!’
- Josh Smith Says Making $6.9 Million will be A Hardship for Him (VIDEO)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here