*Mariah Carey will be crowned a “BMI Icon” at the BMI Urban Awards on Sept. 7 in Beverly Hills, reports the Los Angeles Times.
Each year, one songwriter affiliated with the publishing rights organization is singled out as a BMI Icon for his or her “unique and indelible influence on generations of music makers.”
Carey has had 18 No. 1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, tying Elvis Presley among solo acts and behind only the Beatles, whose singles made it to the top of the chart 20 times. She wrote or co-wrote most of her signature hits.
Previous honorees include James Brown, Little Richard, Al Green, Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton and Snoop Dogg.
The award ceremony, to be held at the Saban Theatre, also recognizes other BMI songwriters whose works have made a significant impact on pop music in the previous year.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Josh Childress Opens Up about Why Millionaire Ballers Go Broke
- Janelle Monáe to Wardrobe Critic: ‘I’m Not For Male Consumption’
- S. Epatha Merkerson: ‘I Won’t Even Read a Script with a Snake in it’
- 'Ice Age' Interview: 'Hit This...We're Done Anyways' - Wanda Sykes (WATCH)
- After UK’s ‘Brexit’ Vote, Texas Secessionists Call for ‘Texit’
- Mariah Carey to Receive Bravo’s 1st Ever ‘Giving Me Life Achievement Award’
- Parliament-Funkadelic Keyboardist Bernie Worrell Dies at 72
- Erykah Badu Directs Video for Robert Glasper Collabo ‘Maiysha (So Long)’ (Watch)
- TLC Begins Production on Tyler Perry's 'Too Close to Home'
- Deon Cole of ‘Black-ish’ Scores Standup Special on Comedy Central
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here