*Mariah Carey will be crowned a “BMI Icon” at the BMI Urban Awards on Sept. 7 in Beverly Hills, reports the Los Angeles Times.
Each year, one songwriter affiliated with the publishing rights organization is singled out as a BMI Icon for his or her “unique and indelible influence on generations of music makers.”
Carey has had 18 No. 1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, tying Elvis Presley among solo acts and behind only the Beatles, whose singles made it to the top of the chart 20 times. She wrote or co-wrote most of her signature hits.
Previous honorees include James Brown, Little Richard, Al Green, Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton and Snoop Dogg.
The award ceremony, to be held at the Saban Theatre, also recognizes other BMI songwriters whose works have made a significant impact on pop music in the previous year.
- Atlanta Police on the Hunt for T.I.-Looking Suspect
- Ne-Yo & Crystal Renay Get Married with Baby Already on the Way
- Chris Brown's Baby Mama Nia Guzman Responds to Criminal Allegations
- The Socialist's Journal: Kim Davis
- (Min. Paul Scott) Why Black Minds Matter: Readin’, Writin’ and Revolution
- CurlKit Launches 'Curlstar Favorits Box' - Offering Consumers Instant Access to Brands Coveted by Superstars
- Los Angeles Urban Policy Roundtable Awards Mumia Abu Jamal Health Fund
- THE (09-01-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- (The Black Hat) Nicki Minaj: The White Girl Hunter
- 'Meet the Celebrities on Your Own Terms' in Upcoming Workshop for Aspiring Writers (Photos!)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here