First Lady Michelle Obama and three-time Olympian and gold medalist, Dominique Dawes joined Venus Williams and mother Oracene in watching the 14-time Grand Slam champion decisively take out Serbia’s Jelena Jankovic and to earn entry into tournament’s 2nd round. It took just an hour for Williams to achieve the 6-3, 6-1 victory on the lush All England Club Centre Court lawn and to move one match closer to fulfilling her quest for winning her first gold medal in tennis singles (she and Venus own two Olympic gold medals for doubles).
The head-to-head for the two competitors, 4-4, indicated the possibility of a tough match for Williams – who’s been dubbed the tournament favorite, but it turns out that was just on paper. The two had never before met on grass, which is the recent Wimbledon champion’s strongest surface and she was in dominant form from the start.
Williams closed out the match – to rousing applause from the first lady, who open professes her love for tennis – with 8 aces and 20 winners.
If Serena Williams, currently ranked world no. 4, secures the Olympic gold medal in singles, she will have completed the coveted Career Golden Slam, which is when a tennis player wins all four Grand Slam tournaments and the Olympic gold medal during his or her career.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Video Shows Raven-Symone Didn't Get 'Slapped Upside the Chest' (WATCH)
- VIDEO: Who will President Obama Pick to Replace Justice Scalia?
- Toni Braxton Confirms 'Love, Marriage & Divorce Part 2' with Babyface
- Jaden Smith Flaunts New Tesla X, That's Not Even Available Yet
- Obama Informs Republicans He WILL Nominate Scalia's Replacement
- Hip-Hop Met Fats Waller in LA!
- Michael Jordan's Rep Responds to 'Crying Jordan' Memes
- Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia Found Dead
- Steph, Ayesha & Michelle Have Fun with 'Banana' Song (WATCH)
- TV Review: The Black Panthers Van Guard of the Revolution
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here