First Lady Michelle Obama and three-time Olympian and gold medalist, Dominique Dawes joined Venus Williams and mother Oracene in watching the 14-time Grand Slam champion decisively take out Serbia’s Jelena Jankovic and to earn entry into tournament’s 2nd round. It took just an hour for Williams to achieve the 6-3, 6-1 victory on the lush All England Club Centre Court lawn and to move one match closer to fulfilling her quest for winning her first gold medal in tennis singles (she and Venus own two Olympic gold medals for doubles).
The head-to-head for the two competitors, 4-4, indicated the possibility of a tough match for Williams – who’s been dubbed the tournament favorite, but it turns out that was just on paper. The two had never before met on grass, which is the recent Wimbledon champion’s strongest surface and she was in dominant form from the start.
Williams closed out the match – to rousing applause from the first lady, who open professes her love for tennis – with 8 aces and 20 winners.
If Serena Williams, currently ranked world no. 4, secures the Olympic gold medal in singles, she will have completed the coveted Career Golden Slam, which is when a tennis player wins all four Grand Slam tournaments and the Olympic gold medal during his or her career.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Uzo Aduba: 'Bigger, Higher and Braver,' Thanks to Queen Latifah
- Mystery Collector Buys Wu-Tang's Album for Millions / Usher's #Eggplant Confession
- The Rise, Fall and Legacy of Berry Gordy's Motown Returns to Broadway
- Kobe Bryant Announces Retirement Via Poem: 'Dear Basketball'
- Holly Holm Asks Beyoncé ‘What’s Your Name?’ in Awkward Vegas Moment
- EUR on the Scene: 'The Wiz Live!' [WATCH]
- Yaya DaCosta Files for Divorce After Two Years of Marriage
- Dennis Rodman Sued for Stiffing Company Out of $28k
- Christopher 'Play' Martin to Speak at Suny-Oneonta Monday Nov. 30
- A 'Broke' 50 Cent Flaunts Stacks of Cash in Fridge (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here