*More than two thousand journalists attended the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) convention held at the end of June in New Orleans. Media people from print, television, radio, digital and more were in attendance.
It came as no surprise that one of the most popular places was the Career Fair. NABJ President Greg Lee stressed that the organization recognized there have been layoffs occurring in newsrooms across the country. One shakeup recently happened in the Big Easy, Lee’s hometown.
The Times Picayune newspaper, where Lee got his start, laid off more than 200 people, or almost a third of the paper’s staff. He’s currently at the Boston Globe.
In the opening reception, Lee acknowledged how newsrooms were changing.
“Many of this week’s sessions will focus on the changing landscape and how we journalists can survive in this ever turbulent industry.”
Celebrities came to the convention and talked about their hot new TV shows and movies. Among the stars touting their shows was Cedric the Entertainer and Niecy Nash. They held a private showing of two upcoming episodes of their new TV Land comedy series, “The Soul Man.”
“This is a story about redemption.” Cedric said in an exclusive interview. “We created a show about a guy who’s changed his life, who’s known, you know, to the world as this big r&b superstar, singing songs a little sexually provocative. He gets the calling. He becomes a minister and wants to save souls.”
You can see “The Soul Man” Wednesdays on TV Land at 10 p.m. ET.
Like EURweb on Facebook
A number of movies were in the spotlight including one from Spike Lee. He provided a screening of his new film, “Red Hook Summer.” It focuses on a young boy from the suburbs of Atlanta spending a summer with a grandfather he just met in the Red Hook projects in Brooklyn.
(Watch more about the NABJ convention in the video below)
The NABJ website address is www.nabj.org.
- Rihanna’s BET Appearance Was Simply Marketing Trickery
- America: A Nation Under Sin or Love?
- Diddy's Fall, Racist Arsonists, Nene Leakes and More News! | BHL's This Week
- WATCH: Deleted Scene from 'Home' Starring Rihanna, Jim Parsons
- Motorist Sues Bobbi Kristina as Family Prepares for Her Funeral
- Goodbye Clippers, Hello Mavericks! DeAndre Bolts from LA to Dallas
- Oprah is Hiring - 2015 Jobs Available in L.A. and N.Y.
- Lee England, Jr: You've Never Heard Violin Like This! (Covers Bey, Adele and Yeah, Mozart Too!) Photos
- Kim Burrell Returns with 'Thank You Jesus'
- Ava DuVernay WON'T Be Directing Marvel's 'Black Panther'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here