A report at Radio-Info.com says he was in the hospital and had just had surgery for a diabetes-related illness:
“Butter,” as he was most commonly known to friends and peers, was heard on Clear Channel Urban AC WDAS-FM until his recent illness, but was still and active member of the staff there.
He started career at WDAS-AM in 1964, as a sales person, but quickly won his way on the air and became a house-hold name. He later became PD, which he served as for both the AM, and later WDAS-FM, when it launched as an Urban station in 1971.
Tamburro is being remembered by his fans and friends at WDASFM.Com.
Here’s what the founders of Philadelphia International Records, Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff, had to say about the passing of the beloved Butterball Tamburro.
“We are deeply saddened by the loss of one of the greatest disc jockeys and radio personalities in music radio history,” said Gamble & Huff in a joint statement. “Joe ‘Butterball’ Tamburro was a class act in radio and the music business, and he was an icon here in Philadelphia. Butterball had a major impact and influence in picking many of the radio hits for our PIR label. More importantly, Butterball was a part of the Gamble-Huff Organization family. He will always be remembered and respected in our hearts and minds forever. There will never be another R&B and soul radio legend like Butterball.”
Gamble & Huff further saluted Joe “Butterball” Tamburro as “a good man who was loved and respected by everybody in Philadelphia and around the nation.
“He had great love for R&B and soul music and a special love for the Sound of Philadelphia. More importantly, we thank him for being one of the pioneers in promoting the Philly Dance and Music scene for the nation and world to enjoy. We send our most sincere condolences to his dear wife Cynthia and family. Butterball was our dear friend and will be truly missed.”
Meanwhile, check out the saucy “Butterball Rap” that Butter did back in 2009. It was posted on YouTube just a week ago by a Mr. Woody Johnston.
Props to record industry maven Pat Shields for hipping us to the “Butterball Rap.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Man Sentenced to 20 Years in One Court, Then Leaves to Marry Girlfriend in Another
- Joseph Patterson Convicted in Death of Adrian Peterson's Son
- 'Family Feud': Sexually Provocative Q&As Have Viewers Alarmed (WATCH)
- Amber Rose's 'SlutWalk': Several Hundred Showed Up (VIDEO/PHOTOS)
- Jerrod Carmichael: New Onyx Phone Makes Filming Police Brutality Easy (WATCH)
- Universal Eyeing Michael B. Jordan and Jonah Hill for Def Jam Biopic
- Toni Braxton to Star in Lifetime Biopic 'Un-Break My Heart'
- NeYo Shares Proposal Video, Slams Ex's Sterilization Claims [WATCH]
- Staples Singers Limited Edition 4-CD Box Set to be Released Nov. 13 from Stax/Concord Music Group
- Whoopi Goldberg Blasts Pro-Lifers: ‘Get Out of My Vagina!’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here