A report at Radio-Info.com says he was in the hospital and had just had surgery for a diabetes-related illness:
“Butter,” as he was most commonly known to friends and peers, was heard on Clear Channel Urban AC WDAS-FM until his recent illness, but was still and active member of the staff there.
He started career at WDAS-AM in 1964, as a sales person, but quickly won his way on the air and became a house-hold name. He later became PD, which he served as for both the AM, and later WDAS-FM, when it launched as an Urban station in 1971.
Tamburro is being remembered by his fans and friends at WDASFM.Com.
Here’s what the founders of Philadelphia International Records, Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff, had to say about the passing of the beloved Butterball Tamburro.
“We are deeply saddened by the loss of one of the greatest disc jockeys and radio personalities in music radio history,” said Gamble & Huff in a joint statement. “Joe ‘Butterball’ Tamburro was a class act in radio and the music business, and he was an icon here in Philadelphia. Butterball had a major impact and influence in picking many of the radio hits for our PIR label. More importantly, Butterball was a part of the Gamble-Huff Organization family. He will always be remembered and respected in our hearts and minds forever. There will never be another R&B and soul radio legend like Butterball.”
Gamble & Huff further saluted Joe “Butterball” Tamburro as “a good man who was loved and respected by everybody in Philadelphia and around the nation.
“He had great love for R&B and soul music and a special love for the Sound of Philadelphia. More importantly, we thank him for being one of the pioneers in promoting the Philly Dance and Music scene for the nation and world to enjoy. We send our most sincere condolences to his dear wife Cynthia and family. Butterball was our dear friend and will be truly missed.”
Meanwhile, check out the saucy “Butterball Rap” that Butter did back in 2009. It was posted on YouTube just a week ago by a Mr. Woody Johnston.
Props to record industry maven Pat Shields for hipping us to the “Butterball Rap.”
- Rihanna’s BET Appearance Was Simply Marketing Trickery
- America: A Nation Under Sin or Love?
- Diddy's Fall, Racist Arsonists, Nene Leakes and More News! | BHL's This Week
- WATCH: Deleted Scene from 'Home' Starring Rihanna, Jim Parsons
- Motorist Sues Bobbi Kristina as Family Prepares for Her Funeral
- Goodbye Clippers, Hello Mavericks! DeAndre Bolts from LA to Dallas
- Oprah is Hiring - 2015 Jobs Available in L.A. and N.Y.
- Lee England, Jr: You've Never Heard Violin Like This! (Covers Bey, Adele and Yeah, Mozart Too!) Photos
- Kim Burrell Returns with 'Thank You Jesus'
- Ava DuVernay WON'T Be Directing Marvel's 'Black Panther'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here