Critics were absolutely taken aback by the films sheer brilliance and riveting storyline, which included a 6-year-old heroine addict.
Quvenzhané Wallis, who was six at the time of production, worked the screen playing the role of Hushpuppy. In an interview on the “Tonight Show,” the now 8-year-old big screen diva showed her naturally charismatic personality along with her wit, telling host Jay Leno that he’s asking her the wrong questions. It’s hilarious. Scroll down to watch.
Even as a young star, her standout abilities have caught the eye of some of the industry’s harshest critics, softening them to praise.
Like EURweb on Facebook
The New York Times bragged about her performance, writing that Wallis is the “inheritor of a proud literary and artistic tradition, following along a crooked path traveled by Huckleberry Finn, Scout Finch, Eloise (of the Plaza), Elliott (from “E.T.”) and other brave, wild, imaginary children.”
At a point in the story, her eyes well up with tears until they finally came streaming down her cheeks. She told the press at a recent screening that the director asked people to sit down and tell her sad stories to prepare her for the moment.
This Friday, catch “Beasts of the Southern Wild” in Boston, San Francisco, Washington, D.C., Chicago and Dallas. It’s already playing in New York and Los Angeles.
- Instagram’s ‘Hot Gay Dads’ Call it Quits
- Amber Rose Criticized for Teaching Her Baby 'Hood English' (WATCH)
- Mother of Three Killed By Ex-Boyfriend-Baby-Daddy-Gang Member
- Bill Cosby Set to Be Deposed by Sept. 30 in Judy Huth Case
- Late Golf Great Charlie Sifford's Family Stole $1 Million From Him
- Former NBA All Star Vin Baker Training for Starbucks Manager Spot
- The Griswolds Are Back On 'Vacation' (Watch)
- The Second Deadly Assault on Sandra Bland
- Troubling: Two Officers Corroborated Killer Cop's False Account of DuBose Killing
- Audio Interview: Basketball and Art Unite to Inspire Youth Life Skills (Listen)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here