*Too much of a supposed “good thing” can end up being a bad thing.
That’s what some Atlanta folks Are coming to realize about the explosion of reality TV shows being filmed in the area.
That’s because the “reality” these shows portray isn’t the Atlanta reality per se. In other words, they’re giving Atlana , and black Atlanta in particular, a bad name, according to theGrio.
There are many definitions of a mistress. For the cast of a new wannabe reality TV show, The Real Mistresses of Atlanta, is defines women willing to do just about anything for fame.
If Mistresses makes it to a television network it will join a growing list of reality shows filmed in and around Atlanta: shows such as VH1’s Love & Hip Hop Atlanta, Bravo’s The Real Housewives of Atlanta and WEtv’s Braxton Family Values.
What distinguishes these programs is that they all feature an ensemble of feisty black women. With this come regular bouts of catfights, bickering and nasty confrontations between grown women of color.
Amid all the drama is a growing chorus of disapproval about how these productions portray black women, with online petitions even pushing for mass boycotts of some shows. Those spearheading the campaigns say the cast members are mere pawns in the game of reality television and the shows are demeaning and exploitative.
Now attention has turned to how these reality shows depict Atlanta, a city famously known as the black Mecca. Not only is Atlanta home to affluent, middle-class blacks, but is the number one tourism destination for African Americans, according to the 2004 Travel Industry Association report.
Critics of the “reality” genre fear everything unique about “Hotlanta”, from its complex of historically black colleges to its uninterrupted succession of African American mayors, is now being eclipsed by dysfunctional images churned out by black reality dramas.
Read/learn more at theGrio.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- The Socialist's Journal/ The Prodigy: Esther Okade Taking College Courses at 11?!
- Robertson Treatment Syndicated Column (RTSC): PRINCE IN CINEMA - Remembered by the AAFCA
- Parents of 4-Yr-Old who Fell in Gorilla Enclosure Catching Hell on Social Media
- Newlywed Needs: Best Investment Purchases for the Recently Wed
- Rinkins Report: Financial Expert Shares Insights He Used to Overcome $250k Debt on Reality Series
- THE (05-31-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Dwayne Johnson’s Meal Plan Involves Eating 10 Pounds of Food Everyday
- Janet Jackson’s Trainer Reveals How to Get Her Famous Abs
- Snoop Dogg Blasts 'Roots' Reboot; Won't be Watching
- Police Say This Interracial 'Online Date' Ended in Woman's Death
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here