*The 2012 London Olympics games day 3, along with mother nature’s touch, gave tennis fans a sublime day of match viewing and left team USA with well-earned earned bragging rights to a 6-0 shut out against other competing countries going for tennis gold.
Yesterday’s incessant rain at SW19 forced the cancellation of several “popcorn” matches, which led to a high concentration of ATP and WTA elite, including the entire remaining American field, taking to the Wimbledon grass all on one day – side by side even – to get things back on track.
Competing for second round berths for some and third round berths for others, US Olympians Venus Williams (def. French Open finalist Sara Errani, 6-3,6-2); Serena Williams (def. Ursula Radwanska 6-3,6-2); Andy Roddick (def. Martin Klizan of Slovakia, 7-5, 6-4); John Isner (def. Malek Jaziri of Tunisia, 7-6 (1), 6-2); Uzbekistanian-turned American, and Varvara Lepchenko (def. Veronica Cepede Royg 7-5, 6-7 (6-8), 6-2) all accomplished their missions of progressing to the next round in singles. The Williams sisters then capped off the stellar day for Team USA by taking out the Romanian doubles team of Sorana Cirstea and Simona Halep, 6-3,6-2.
Also, ATP world No. 1 and Swiss superstar, Roger Federer; WTA world No. 1, Victoria Azarenka of Belarus; 2011 Wimbledon champion, Petra Kvitova of Czechoslovakia all represented well for their respective countries by securing impressive wins, including Federer pulling a Venus and Serena-style double feature by playing doubles with compatriot Stanlis Warwrinka and winning against China’s Go Soeda and Ken Nishikori (6-7 (5), 6-4, 6-4).
It was a full day of brilliant tennis action at Wimbledon.
Taking home the gold in the Olympic games isn’t typically viewed as important as Grand Slam trophies for tennis players, but with a number of top players lobbying either for tail-end-of-career glory or debut respect – of course for the sake of their countries, the 2012 London Olympic Games are shaping up to possess quite a bit of drama, intensity and magic.
Go, team USA.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Mike Epps Shows it's Never Too Late: Graduates High School at 45
- Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton Declares May 23rd ‘Beyonce Day’, Then Lightning Strikes
- Serena Williams Pulls Off Series of Mind-Blowing Tennis Trick Shots (Watch)
- Researchers: NFL and 'Police Academy' Star Bubba Smith Had CTE When He Died
- Paris Jackson Inks Dad’s ‘Dangerous’ Album Cover on her Arm
- NBA Taps ‘Champion’ From The Roots as 2016 Finals Theme Song (Listen)
- Wow! 67-Year-Old Former Harlem Drug Dealer Graduates from Columbia (Watch)!
- Carmen Electra on Prince’s Death: ‘I Just Hope People Understand What Pain Is’ (Watch)
- VH1’s ‘Hip Hop Honors’ Returning to Salute the Ladies
- ‘The Real’s’ Adrienne Bailon Calls Tamar Braxton ‘My Sister Forever’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here