*(Via Yahoo News) – Illinois Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr., whose whereabouts haven’t been disclosed since he quietly took a medical leave from Congress several weeks ago, is being treated for depression at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, according to a statement released by the hospital.
Jackson is undergoing an extensive inpatient evaluation for depression and for gastrointestinal issues, the hospital said, providing the first details about his medical condition. But the statement released late Friday didn’t disclose where the longtime Chicago congressman, the son of civil rights leader Jesse Jackson, had previously been staying.
“Further information will be released as Congressman Jackson’s evaluation proceeds,” the statement said, adding that he and his family were “grateful for the outpouring of support and prayers that have been received throughout his care.”
Phone messages left by The Associated Press for his spokesman weren’t returned Friday. In 2004, Jackson underwent a procedure to help him lose weight that involves removing part of the stomach and rearranging the intestine.
The Democrat went on leave June 10, though his office didn’t disclose it until weeks later and has been mum on details ever since. Initially, his office said Jackson was being treated for exhaustion. But his staff later said Jackson’s condition was more serious and required inpatient medical treatment. They also said Jackson has been grappling with emotional issues.
Read/learn more at Yahoo News.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Master P Sued Over Failure to Deliver Snoop Dogg in Dubai
- Grammys: Ice Cube & Son to Present; Miguel to Sing 'She's Out Of My Life'
- Yolanda Adams Added to Fox’s Live Musical ‘The Passion’
- Lance Stephenson Drags Ex K. Michelle Over ‘Down in the DM’ Remix
- Cleveland Rescinds $500 ER Bill Sent to Tamir Rice’s Family
- Not a Good Cop Look: Ex-Sheriff, Lee Baca, Admits Guilt in False Statements
- Woman Accusing Chris Brown of Battery Files Lawsuit
- Wife of Thunder Asst. Coach Monty Williams Dies in Car Crash
- Diddy Joining ‘The Voice’ As Advisor to Pharrell Williams
- Janet Jackson Sighting: Paps Finally Catch Her After Surgery (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here