*(Via Yahoo News) – Illinois Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr., whose whereabouts haven’t been disclosed since he quietly took a medical leave from Congress several weeks ago, is being treated for depression at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, according to a statement released by the hospital.
Jackson is undergoing an extensive inpatient evaluation for depression and for gastrointestinal issues, the hospital said, providing the first details about his medical condition. But the statement released late Friday didn’t disclose where the longtime Chicago congressman, the son of civil rights leader Jesse Jackson, had previously been staying.
“Further information will be released as Congressman Jackson’s evaluation proceeds,” the statement said, adding that he and his family were “grateful for the outpouring of support and prayers that have been received throughout his care.”
Phone messages left by The Associated Press for his spokesman weren’t returned Friday. In 2004, Jackson underwent a procedure to help him lose weight that involves removing part of the stomach and rearranging the intestine.
The Democrat went on leave June 10, though his office didn’t disclose it until weeks later and has been mum on details ever since. Initially, his office said Jackson was being treated for exhaustion. But his staff later said Jackson’s condition was more serious and required inpatient medical treatment. They also said Jackson has been grappling with emotional issues.
Read/learn more at Yahoo News.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Remodeling Your Home: The Risks You Need to Know
- THE (05-02-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- OMG! Did Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, Really Respond to My Friendly 'Hello?'
- Wendy Raquel Robinson Pays Tribute to Iconic Artist Prince
- Kelly Rowland's New Music Series Has Her Missing Destiny’s Child
- Tyra Banks, Misty Copeland to Speak During Essence Experience
- Tyler Perry Talks Following His Own Path to Saving OWN
- John Singleton and Gary Owen Score BET Series Deals
- Opinion: Presidential Correspondence Dinner not a Place for the word 'Ni*ga'
- Wendell James Grand Marshall for Long Beach Pride Parade
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here