*Earlier this week, Star Jones suggested that CNN’s Anderson Cooper may have announced he was gay to help improve ratings for his daytime talk show, and compared the practice to Oprah Winfrey revealing that she smoked crack.
Jones made the comment as part of the “Professionals” panel on the Today show. Host Natalie Morales asked Jones, along with Donny Deutsch and Nancy Snyderman, whether it was necessary for people in the spotlight to inform the public about their sexual preferences.
Jones spoke up first and said: “I’m a little bit of a cynic.” She went on to say, “’He’s a daytime talk show host and when the rating slip in daytime, the hosts tend to tell you lots of things about them.”
“I remember Oprah said she smoked crack, Oprah said she was pregnant at 14 and considered suicide,” Jones said. “There [are] times when you generate information for ratings.”
In the 1990s, Oprah admitted on her hugely successful daytime show that she had smoked crack cocaine in her 20s while interviewing recovering addicts of the drug.
Jones, however, did compliment Cooper on his efforts if his motive was to drive ratings.
“I say, bravo, bravo,” she said. [watch below.]
Cooper came out by giving permission for friend Andrew Sullivan, who is openly gay, to print an email exchange between them on the Daily Beast. In it he said: ‘The fact is, I’m gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ringside Update/ Thurman vs Porter A Clash of Young Titans
- EUR EXCLUSIVE: 'The Legend of Tarzan' Press Junket
- THE (06-29-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- The Legends of Bad A** Women: 'Tarzan' Ain't the Only One with a Jane
- 'Star Trek Beyond' Trailer Features 'Sledgehammer' from Rihanna (WATCH)
- Jennifer Hudson Signs W/ Epic Records
- Stacey Dash Announces Her Own Political Party, 'Dash America'
- Trick Daddy is Spitting Mad ... About Some Woman in Viral Video
- BET Drops Trailer for New Edition Biopic [Watch]
- WNBA's Candace Parker Shares Handwritten Recruitment Letter from Pat Summitt
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here