*Earlier this week, Star Jones suggested that CNN’s Anderson Cooper may have announced he was gay to help improve ratings for his daytime talk show, and compared the practice to Oprah Winfrey revealing that she smoked crack.
Jones made the comment as part of the “Professionals” panel on the Today show. Host Natalie Morales asked Jones, along with Donny Deutsch and Nancy Snyderman, whether it was necessary for people in the spotlight to inform the public about their sexual preferences.
Jones spoke up first and said: “I’m a little bit of a cynic.” She went on to say, “’He’s a daytime talk show host and when the rating slip in daytime, the hosts tend to tell you lots of things about them.”
“I remember Oprah said she smoked crack, Oprah said she was pregnant at 14 and considered suicide,” Jones said. “There [are] times when you generate information for ratings.”
In the 1990s, Oprah admitted on her hugely successful daytime show that she had smoked crack cocaine in her 20s while interviewing recovering addicts of the drug.
Jones, however, did compliment Cooper on his efforts if his motive was to drive ratings.
“I say, bravo, bravo,” she said. [watch below.]
Cooper came out by giving permission for friend Andrew Sullivan, who is openly gay, to print an email exchange between them on the Daily Beast. In it he said: ‘The fact is, I’m gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Toni Braxton to Star in Lifetime Biopic 'Un-Break My Heart'
- NeYo Shares Proposal Video, Slams Ex's Sterilization Claims [WATCH]
- Staples Singers Limited Edition 4-CD Box Set to be Released Nov. 13 from Stax/Concord Music Group
- Whoopi Goldberg Blasts Pro-Lifers: ‘Get Out of My Vagina!’
- Jennifer Hudson Dishes on Film Roles, Style and Weight Loss
- Sparkletainment Presents 'Loves Freedom' a One-woman Stage Performance (WATCH)
- 'Why You Always Lying' Creator Calls Viral Success 'Crazy'
- Deitrick Haddon Unveils Cover of 'MasterPiece'
- How to Successfully Balance Family, Parenting and Entertainment
- Terrence Howard Repays Rapper Petey Pablo with Role on 'Empire'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here