*Earlier this week, Star Jones suggested that CNN’s Anderson Cooper may have announced he was gay to help improve ratings for his daytime talk show, and compared the practice to Oprah Winfrey revealing that she smoked crack.
Jones made the comment as part of the “Professionals” panel on the Today show. Host Natalie Morales asked Jones, along with Donny Deutsch and Nancy Snyderman, whether it was necessary for people in the spotlight to inform the public about their sexual preferences.
Jones spoke up first and said: “I’m a little bit of a cynic.” She went on to say, “’He’s a daytime talk show host and when the rating slip in daytime, the hosts tend to tell you lots of things about them.”
“I remember Oprah said she smoked crack, Oprah said she was pregnant at 14 and considered suicide,” Jones said. “There [are] times when you generate information for ratings.”
In the 1990s, Oprah admitted on her hugely successful daytime show that she had smoked crack cocaine in her 20s while interviewing recovering addicts of the drug.
Jones, however, did compliment Cooper on his efforts if his motive was to drive ratings.
“I say, bravo, bravo,” she said. [watch below.]
Cooper came out by giving permission for friend Andrew Sullivan, who is openly gay, to print an email exchange between them on the Daily Beast. In it he said: ‘The fact is, I’m gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Presenting Ice-T and Coco's New Baby: Chanel Nicole
- Black Teen Vlogger Renounces Conservatism; Laquan McDonald Killing Convinced Him
- Girls Want to Join the Boys Scouts of America
- Lil Boosie Rants Frustration with 'Gay Sh*t' On TV
- Will Smith Planning Political Run 'In The Near Future'
- Angie Stone Recalls the Time She Passed on Dating Idris Elba
- 3 Things to Do NOW to Transform Your Life (WATCH)
- The Kobie Chronicles: 'Red, White & Baltimore' Premiere As Freddie Gray Trials Commence
- Lamar Odom's Lucky Break: Prosecution for Cocaine Possession Unlikely
- Why?! Well Known Black Ministers Set to Meet With Trump
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here