*Following a press conference last week during the Annual Convention of the African, Methodist, and Episcopal (AME) Church Convention in Nashville, the Coalition of African-American Pastors (CAAP) voiced disapproval of President Barack Obama’s support of same sex marriage and called upon black pastors across the country to withhold support from the President until further notice. CAAP has launched a marriage petition at 100000signatures4marriage.com.
“By embracing gay marriage, President Obama is leading the country down an immoral path,” said Rev. William Owens, president of CAAP. “The Black Church has always been the conscience of America, and today we are calling on black pastors and black Christians to withhold support from President Obama until he corrects course.
“In the midst of this great moral struggle, we are also asking the great AME Church to reaffirm Biblical views on marriage that is between one man and one woman. The AME Church has not taken a position on this important issue in more than twenty years and it is time to get off the sidelines.”
CAAP has asked for a meeting with President Obama and Eric Holder to discuss the same-sex marriage issue. They have received no response. The letter read in part:
“We pray for the President…President Obama is the fulfillment of our dreams for our sons–and he has broken our hearts by using his power and position to endorse as a civil right something that is simply wrong.
“Some things are bigger than the next election.”
“We were once proud of President Obama, but our pride has turned to shame,” stated Rev. Owens. “The man holding the most powerful position in the world is stooping to lead the country down an immoral path. As AME pastor Luke Robinson said of the President: ‘His pronouncement is in fact a direct attack on the God of the Bible and the Christian faith.’
“It is with this background and strong belief, that we–and the AME pastors who joined with us–challenge the entire African Methodist Episcopal Church to stand with other denominations and speak out against President Obama’s endorsement of same-sex marriage and officially and formally reaffirm support for the Bible’s view of marriage as the union of one man and one woman.”
- What Style of Engagement Ring is Right for You?
- THE (07-06-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- 'Staten Island Summer' to Release on Netflix July 31 (Watch Trailer)
- Aaron Camper's Back and is 'Hypnotizing' in New Video (WATCH)
- MTV Presents 'White People' Documentary
- Kanye West Could've Been Highest Paid on Las Vegas Strip
- Reach Media Welcomes 'Gospel Traxx With Walt Baby Love' to its Urban Lineup
- Tyrese Gibson Responds to Forbes for ‘Green Lantern’ Shade
- Video: Tidal Releases Bizzy Crook's 'From Everything Came Nothing'
- Tasha Cobbs' 'One Place Live' Releases August 21 on Motown Gospel
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here