*Following a press conference last week during the Annual Convention of the African, Methodist, and Episcopal (AME) Church Convention in Nashville, the Coalition of African-American Pastors (CAAP) voiced disapproval of President Barack Obama’s support of same sex marriage and called upon black pastors across the country to withhold support from the President until further notice. CAAP has launched a marriage petition at 100000signatures4marriage.com.
“By embracing gay marriage, President Obama is leading the country down an immoral path,” said Rev. William Owens, president of CAAP. “The Black Church has always been the conscience of America, and today we are calling on black pastors and black Christians to withhold support from President Obama until he corrects course.
“In the midst of this great moral struggle, we are also asking the great AME Church to reaffirm Biblical views on marriage that is between one man and one woman. The AME Church has not taken a position on this important issue in more than twenty years and it is time to get off the sidelines.”
CAAP has asked for a meeting with President Obama and Eric Holder to discuss the same-sex marriage issue. They have received no response. The letter read in part:
“We pray for the President…President Obama is the fulfillment of our dreams for our sons–and he has broken our hearts by using his power and position to endorse as a civil right something that is simply wrong.
“Some things are bigger than the next election.”
“We were once proud of President Obama, but our pride has turned to shame,” stated Rev. Owens. “The man holding the most powerful position in the world is stooping to lead the country down an immoral path. As AME pastor Luke Robinson said of the President: ‘His pronouncement is in fact a direct attack on the God of the Bible and the Christian faith.’
“It is with this background and strong belief, that we–and the AME pastors who joined with us–challenge the entire African Methodist Episcopal Church to stand with other denominations and speak out against President Obama’s endorsement of same-sex marriage and officially and formally reaffirm support for the Bible’s view of marriage as the union of one man and one woman.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Naked and Unarmed Black Teen Fatally Shot by Austin, TX Police
- ‘Memory Hackers’ (PBS): Not Just a ‘Men In Black’ Thing Anymore
- Video Stories About 'Good Cops' Show Up (Mysteriously) in My Inbox - Should I Be Concerned?
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: It’s Still a Woman Thing with Hillary
- Blake Griffin Suspended 4 Games For Punching Clippers Trainer
- Hymn to Him: The Power of Congregational Singing!
- Patti LaBelle Joins ‘The Voice’ As Advisor to Christina Aguilera
- Khloe Kardashian Joins OkCupid After Split From James Harden
- LeSean McCoy: Video of Club Brawl With Off Duty Cops (Watch)
- DMX Hospitalized After Discovered Unconscious at Hotel
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here