*There’s no question that “The Dark Knight Rises” will be another box office biggie, but how big – and how badly attendance was hurt by the Colorado theater massacre – will remain a mystery until Monday, reports TheWrap.
On Sunday, Warner Bros., rival studios and box office data firm Rentrak held fast to their decision to withhold early numbers and their estimates for the weekend. In a Friday release, the studio said it delay the report “out of respect for the victims and their families.”
At 9:01 a.m. PT Sunday morning, Rentrak Theatrical sent out its box office data spreadsheet titled Weekend Estimates as usual — but it was blank. The blackout means that there was no official data on any film, from art-house indie to blockbuster.
Based on Friday’s grosses, pre-sale figures and anecdotal reports, analysts see the film taking in between $150 million and $170 million for the three days.
“By not releasing box office numbers this weekend, the studios are attempting to turn the focus away from the accustomed monetary rankings, and instead keep the focus on what’s really important — discussing the tragedy and its aftermath,” Exhibitor Relations senior analyst Jeff Bock told TheWrap on Sunday. “We can all certainly wait one more day to pontificate on the tabulations.”
Read/learn more at TheWrap.
- Whoa! Baltimore Sees 43 Homicides in July - A 43 Year Record for A Single Month
- Family Dynamics Cause Scare in Saturday's 'Flex & Shanice' (WATCH)
- Janet Jackson Continues Tour Rehearsal, Set to Perform at iHeartRadio Festival
- Lauryn Hill Performs Nina Simone’s ‘Feeling Good’ on ‘Fallon’ (Watch)
- Azealia Banks Shades Erykah Badu for Having Multiple Baby Daddies
- Teyonah Parris’ Hair Becomes Storyline for ‘Survivor’s Remorse’ Season 2
- Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sued for Wooing, Then, Deserting Boxer
- Nick Gordon Begs Permission to Attend Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral
- Bobbi Kristina’s Fam Feuding Over Planned Sweet 16-Themed Funeral?
- Wilson, Seahawks Agee to 4-Year, $87.5 Million Contract Extension
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here