*There’s no question that “The Dark Knight Rises” will be another box office biggie, but how big – and how badly attendance was hurt by the Colorado theater massacre – will remain a mystery until Monday, reports TheWrap.
On Sunday, Warner Bros., rival studios and box office data firm Rentrak held fast to their decision to withhold early numbers and their estimates for the weekend. In a Friday release, the studio said it delay the report “out of respect for the victims and their families.”
At 9:01 a.m. PT Sunday morning, Rentrak Theatrical sent out its box office data spreadsheet titled Weekend Estimates as usual — but it was blank. The blackout means that there was no official data on any film, from art-house indie to blockbuster.
Based on Friday’s grosses, pre-sale figures and anecdotal reports, analysts see the film taking in between $150 million and $170 million for the three days.
“By not releasing box office numbers this weekend, the studios are attempting to turn the focus away from the accustomed monetary rankings, and instead keep the focus on what’s really important — discussing the tragedy and its aftermath,” Exhibitor Relations senior analyst Jeff Bock told TheWrap on Sunday. “We can all certainly wait one more day to pontificate on the tabulations.”
Read/learn more at TheWrap.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Rapper Troy Ave Arrested in T.I. Concert Shooting; New Video Allegedly Shows Him Opening Fire (Watch)
- Racist Chinese Detergent Ad Washes the Black Off of Black Man (Watch)
- Alicia Keys to Make History with San Siro Performance
- Spelling Bee Kids Dab Their Way Through Early Rounds (Watch)
- Venus and Serena Advance With Identical Singles Scores at French Open
- Gucci Mane Released from Prison Four Months Early
- Brittney Griner’s Ex Glory Johnson Moves On…With a Man
- Actor Michael Jace Won’t Testify in His Murder Trial
- Cyndi Lauper Salutes Prince With ‘When You Were Mine’ at NY Concert (Watch)
- NYPD’s Top Cop on T.I. Concert Shooting: Rappers are ‘Basically Thugs’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here