Zimmerman had been rearrested when the prosecution alerted the judge that he and his wife had lied and mislead the court about how much money they had in various bank accounts.
Now we find out that the Zimmermans were preparing to flee the country with the money raised from donations on his website. But in spite of that, as noted above, he was still granted bail, according to ABC/Yahoo News.
Zimmerman, whose bail was raised to $1 million, “was preparing to flee to avoid prosecution, but such plans were thwarted,” Judge Kenneth Lester wrote in the bond order released (Thursday).
Lester berated Zimmerman for misleading the court about how much money he and his wife had stashed in bank accounts. In June, prosecutors proved to the court that Zimmerman had tried to appear indigent to the judge, when in reality he had hundreds of thousands of dollars that supporters had donated to help his legal defense.
Lester said that Zimmerman “flaunted the system,” by misleading the court about how much cash he and his wife had in bank accounts.
Zimmerman was out on $150,000 bond when the ruse was discovered by prosecutors. He had been charged in April with second-degree murder for killing the unarmed 17-year-old in February.
Zimmerman quickly created a website through which supporters could donate money to go toward his defense fund. Lester said it was easy to conclude that Zimmerman was going to use the money raised through the website to flee.
“It is entirely reasonable for this court to find that, but for the requirement that he be placed on electronic monitoring, the defendant and his wife would have fled the United States with at least $130,000 of other people’s money,” Lester wrote.
Even though the judge stipulated his bail would be $1 million, it’s still baffling to a lot of folks why Judge Lester would even think of allowing Zimmerman to be released again. But apparently that’s the law.
Read/learn more at ABC/Yahoo News.