*(Via The Guardian) – A 7.6-magnitude undersea earthquake has struck off the eastern coast of the Philippines, destroying roads and bridges, sending people fleeing to higher ground and triggering tsunami warnings across the region.
The quake hit at a depth of 21.7 miles (34.9km) and was centred 66 miles (106km) east of Samar Island, the US Geological Survey said.
“People are fleeing to higher ground,” the Samar congressman Ben Evardone told local radio.
A disaster agency official said residents in the area should get to higher ground immediately.
“Strong earthquake here in Taft, Eastern Samar! And it lasted very long too!” Evardone said by text message earlier. He said the quake had destroyed some roads and bridges.
There were no immediate reports of casualties.
Read/learn more at The Guardian.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Great Beginnings Hosts: 'It Takes a Village' to Celebrate Healthy Babies, Friday May 27
- THE (05-25-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Report: Tamar's Attitude Towards ('The Real') Producers Did Her in
- Ringside Update / A Triple Boxing Championship Weekend
- Soulja Boy Exaggerated $400M Payday from World Poker Fund
- Skai Jackson On Being Meme Worthy and Beef with Azealia Banks
- Loni Love Addresses Tamar Braxton Firing in New Video (Watch)
- Mariah Carey Re-Ups with Hallmark Channel for 3 More Films
- Oprah Advised Paul McCartney Against Kanye West Duet Over N-Word
- New Leadership at BET's ‘Being Mary Jane’: Will Packer Replaces EP Mara Brock Akil
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here