*The man who played Elijah Muhammad in Spike Lee’s epic film, “Malcolm X,” Al Freeman Jr., has died. He was 78.
Howard University in Washington, D.C., confirmed his death Friday night but details weren’t immediately available. Freeman taught acting there for years and served as chairman and artistic director of its theater arts department.
“He was a brilliant professor, a renowned actor and a master director who made his mark in the classroom as well as on stage, screen and television. … He has mentored and taught scores of outstanding actors. He was a resounding voice of Howard and will be missed,” university spokeswoman Kerry-Ann Hamilton said in a statement.
*Carl Davis, the music producer behind some of R&B and pop music’s biggest hits has died.
Davis, a Chicago native, passed away at his home in Summerville, South Carolina on Thursday.
He was 77 and had been suffering from lung disease.
Davis was probably best known for developing “The Chicago Sound.” He was the man behind such hit songs as Gene Chandler’s 1962 classic “Duke of Earl”, Jackie Wilson’s 1967 hit “Higher and Higher”, and the Chi-Lites’ ballads “Oh Girl, ” “Have You Seen Her?” and Major Lance’s “Monkey Time,” among many othersDon’t forget he also produced Barbara Acklin’s “Love Makes a Woman.” And of course he was responsible for The Dells’ six minute R&B classic, “Stay in My Corner.”
Davis is survived by his wife and seven children.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- ‘Creed’ Dir. Ryan Coogler Pays Tribute to his Father in 'Rocky' Spin-Off
- Black Fox News Co-Host Asked if She 'Makes Kool-Aid' (WATCH)
- President Obama's Statement Regarding Laquan McDonald Murder
- Dr. Rapp: Enjoy Patti's Pie, Avoid Fatti's Pounds
- Nick Canon Talks 'Chi-Raq' & Calls Nicki Minaj A THOT?!
- One Year Since His Death, Tamir Rice's Mother Still Seeking Justice
- Old Email from Farrell, PA's New Police Chief Includes the Word 'N*gger' and Prompts Outrage ... and Support from the Town's Black Mayor
- 60% of Staff at Movie Theater in Connecticut Have a Disability
- Bowlegged Lou's Personal Insight Into TV One's UnSung Marathon
- THE (11-26-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here