*Super Bowl-winning and record-breaking NY Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz has penned a memoir Victor Cruz: Out of the Blue with Peter Schrager chronicling his unexpected rise to professional football fame that was released on Amazon.com on July 17, 2012.
In celebration of the book launch Hennessy V.S. hosted a celebratory book launch party at No. 8 in NYC that was attended by many celebrities including the sexy football star’s family and fiancé Elaine Watley, along with Wale, Josh Groban, Eric Benet, Julissa Bermudez, Adrienne Bailon, DJ Kiss, DJ Clark Kent, Peter Rosenberg, K. Foxx, Joel Ortiz, Jeannette Jenkins and DJ M.O.S.
Famous for his amazingly spectacular play with the NY Giants as well as his post-touchdown salsa moves, Cruz is now making touchdowns on the New York Times Best Sellers list where his book has remained a fan favorite since its release. While his meteoric rise in the NFL looked like the result of a magical year, it was actually a lifetime in the making.
Raised in Paterson, New Jersey’s gritty Fourth Ward, Cruz overcame numerous setbacks through hard work, perseverance, and the support of his loving family — from his grandmother who gave him his signature dance moves; to his late father, a former firefighter, who introduced him to football and taught him how to play; to his hard-working, single mother who never let him give up in the face of a challenge.
They all helped to keep him on the right path, as did his coaches, but Cruz’s journey was never easy. There were family tragedies, academic struggles, injuries, and more. In this inspiring, never-before-seen account, Cruz pays tribute to the people and places that made him the man he is today, recounts his most defining moments, and illustrates how his hardships ultimately unleashed his impenetrable will to win.
Victor Cruz: Out of the Blue is a candid and moving reflection of an overlooked and undersized athlete with an uncommon last name in American football that was determined to beat the odds and earn his chance to succeed.
Here’s a paragraph from the epilogue from Victor Cruz: Out of the Blue. “It may seem like I came out of the blue. But, my road was long, windy, full of hurdles, and even some dead ends. I lost family. I lost friends. I even lost my way. When I reached what felt like rock bottom, I realized I had a responsibility to everyone who believed in me and to kids, like me, who just needed a chance and something to believe in.” (Photos by Jerritt Clark)
Audrey J. Bernard is an established chronicler of Black society and Urban happenings based in the New York City area.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Parents of Alabama Teen Electrocuted in Lake Warns Others to 'Be Careful' (Video)
- Snoop Dogg Right on 'Roots' Remake for the Wrong Reasons (Video)
- ‘Roots’ Remake Draws 5.3M Viewers Against Record-Setting NBA Playoff Game
- What Mariah Carey Wore to ‘Live with Kelly’s’ Daytime Pajama Party (Watch)
- Pics Surface of Alleged Khloe Kardashian/Odell Beckham Jr. Hookup at Drake's Party
- Why Alicia Keys is Not Wearing Makeup These Days
- Chuck D, B-Real, Tom Morello Form New Band 'Prophets of Rage'
- Dez Bryant Salutes Spelling Bee Co-Champ Who Threw His ‘X’ Sign
- 'Shield' Actor Michael Jace Convicted of Second-Degree Murder
- Comedian George Wallace: 'The Black But Equal Thing Don't Work for Us' [EUR EXCLUSIVE]
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here