*A traffic stop turned into an arrest on weapon and drug violations charges for Beanie Sigel on Wednesday, just two weeks before he’s scheduled to report to prison for failing to file taxes.
The rapper, whose real name is Dwight Grant, was a passenger in a car pulled over on Interstate 95 in Tinicum Township, just south of his hometown of Philadelphia, reports the AP. Police said they found a gun in the car’s console. Both Sigel and driver Gerald Andrews are felons banned from having such weapons, according to troopers.
Andrews was also carrying several prescription bottles and a small amount of marijuana, police said. Sigel, 38, had more than $4,600 in cash, plus prescription pills and a bottle of codeine syrup, according to troopers.
Court records indicate Sigel and Andrews both face drug and gun charges and were unable to post bail.
Sigel’s latest album, called “This Time,” was released on Tuesday by Ruffhouse Records.
Chris Schwartz, the label’s chief executive, said in a statement that the company is disappointed in Sigel’s arrest. But he added that the rapper has displayed “the utmost professionalism in all of the initiatives related to the promotion of his new release.”
“Beanie has obviously been struggling with some personal issues, and we continue to support him now and throughout his impending incarceration,” Schwartz said.
Sigel is scheduled to begin a two-year prison sentence on Sept. 12 for failing to pay federal taxes. Prosecutors said he owes more than $700,000 for the tax years 1999 through 2005.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Lil Wayne Says Birdman Stiffed Drake, Nicki Minaj Out of Money
- Cosmo Blasted for Declaring Kardashians 'America's First Family'
- TV One to Re-Air Original ‘Roots’; Louis Gossett Jr. Reminisces: ‘We Stopped the World’
- Parents of Bullied Boy Who Committed Suicide, Sue Florida School District
- Debbi Morgan to Play Toni Braxton’s Mom Evelyn in Lifetime Biopic; Full Cast Announced
- Wanda Sykes Cast in ABC's ‘Black-ish’, Showtime's 'House of Lies'
- Gabrielle Union to Star in ‘A Meyers Christmas’ for Universal
- Matt Barnes Still Swears He Had Something With Rihanna: ‘I’m Too Grown to Lie’
- Damien Sneed Performs During International Breast Cancer Awareness Week in Spain
- Bobby Shurmda Denied Bail, Will Stay in Jail Until Feb Trial Date
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here