*A traffic stop turned into an arrest on weapon and drug violations charges for Beanie Sigel on Wednesday, just two weeks before he’s scheduled to report to prison for failing to file taxes.
The rapper, whose real name is Dwight Grant, was a passenger in a car pulled over on Interstate 95 in Tinicum Township, just south of his hometown of Philadelphia, reports the AP. Police said they found a gun in the car’s console. Both Sigel and driver Gerald Andrews are felons banned from having such weapons, according to troopers.
Andrews was also carrying several prescription bottles and a small amount of marijuana, police said. Sigel, 38, had more than $4,600 in cash, plus prescription pills and a bottle of codeine syrup, according to troopers.
Court records indicate Sigel and Andrews both face drug and gun charges and were unable to post bail.
Sigel’s latest album, called “This Time,” was released on Tuesday by Ruffhouse Records.
Chris Schwartz, the label’s chief executive, said in a statement that the company is disappointed in Sigel’s arrest. But he added that the rapper has displayed “the utmost professionalism in all of the initiatives related to the promotion of his new release.”
“Beanie has obviously been struggling with some personal issues, and we continue to support him now and throughout his impending incarceration,” Schwartz said.
Sigel is scheduled to begin a two-year prison sentence on Sept. 12 for failing to pay federal taxes. Prosecutors said he owes more than $700,000 for the tax years 1999 through 2005.
- Man Breaks Down After Recognizing Judge As Former Classmate (WATCH)
- Patty Farmer's 'Playboy Swings' Releases in September
- Thriller: Sanaa, Ealy & Chestnut in Trailer for 'The Perfect Guy' (WATCH)
- Tyra Banks Rants About Industry Pressure on New Models
- Uzo Aduba Stuns 'The View' Cast with Her Operatic Voice (WATCH)
- Antonio Fargas Gives Props to Rihanna for 'BBHMM'
- Announcing the Luther Vandross Estate's 'Power of Love Experience'
- Google Apologizes for App that Calls Black People 'Gorillas'
- Warren Sapp Might Be Going to Jail for Breaking Plea Deal
- Sizzling Summer Movies Heat Up Box Office
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here