*Beyonce literally sang for the world on Friday.
The singer performed her track “I Was Here” in the General Assembly Hall of the United Nations in honor of World Humanitarian Day, which is Aug. 19, and received rave reviews from officials and stars, MTV reports. A music video of the performance will debut the same day.
“Is this what happens at the U.N. every Friday night?” Anderson Cooper, who hosted the event, asked the crowd. “Because, I’ve gotta tell you … I wanna be here every Friday night if this goes on.”
Among the hundreds in attendance were actress Julia Stiles, R&B singer The-Dream and songwriter Diane Warren, who wrote the tune.
Warren said in an interview that she initially called Beyonce’s husband, Jay-Z, and played the song for him over the phone. He quickly called Beyonce, and days later she recorded it. It appears on her album “4,” released last year.
Video of Beyonce’s performance will be released on Aug. 19 on World Humanitarian Day, which commemorates 22 humanitarian workers who were killed in a 2003 terrorist attack in Iraq. A website, WHD-IWasHere.org, was created with hopes of getting 1 billion people to pledge to help someone in need.
“I’d like to ask everyone to make sure they’re a part of August 19th,” Beyonce said from the stage. “It’s such a beautiful, beautiful day, and I’d like to honor the 22 people who lost their lives. God bless you all. Thank you so much for having me.”
Watch Beyonce’s message from WHD-IWasHere.org below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Gil Robertson: The 'African American Film Critics Association Awards' Interview with Kam Williams
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest in Vegas DUI Case
- ‘Black-ish’ To Address Police Brutality in Feb. 24 Episode
- J.Lo's 'Shades of Blue' Scores Second Season
- Lamar Sally: ‘Sherri Shepherd Has Made My Life A Living Hell’
- Super Bowl 50: As Seen From Beyonce’s Instagram
- 'Wendy's Style Squad' Coming to BET
- Bills RB LeSean McCoy Scraps With 3 Off-Duty Cops Over Bubbly
- Flavor Flav to Face Vegas Judge in DUI Case
- TV One's 'News Now' Devotes Show to NAACP Image Awards
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here