*LOS ANGELES, Calif., Aug. 27, 2012 — Soccer enthusiasts are set to gather for the 2012 Los Angeles African Soccer Tournament taking place Sept. 1 at the John Ferraro Soccer Fields at Griffith Park (5101 North Zoo Drive) in Los Angeles, Calif. 24 teams representing 21 countries are set to compete in the second annual soccer tournament featuring the best African and West Indian semi-pro and amateur soccer players in the Los Angeles area.
On Sat. Sept. 1., from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Angelinos will be treated to a fun and competitive soccer event showcasing Los Angeles’ African, West Indian, and American soccer players including a parade, exhibitors, music, contests, a special youth soccer clinic hosted by the L.A. Galaxy, and an international food court featuring the best in African and West Indian cuisine.
On Sat. Sept. 15, Carson’s Home Depot Center (18400 South Avalon Boulevard) will host the semi-final and final games during their African Heritage night from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. Both events are free and open to the public.
A CalSouth sanctioned event, new teams this year include the L.A.P.D. Centurions, Belize, and Angola. Returning countries include: Zambia, Uganda, Togo, Tanzania, Sudan, South Africa, Senegal, Rwanda, Nigeria, Namibia, Morocco, Kenya, Ivory Coast, Guinea, Ghana, Eritrea, DR Congo, Cameroon, and the USA. In addition, there will be a special showcase highlighting women in soccer.
The following are the tentative team drawings for tournament:
Black Stallions (Ghana)
Bafana Bafana (South Africa)
Sundanese L.A. (Sudan)
Black Eagles (Nigeria)
Griga FC (Belize)
Might Elephants (Ivory Coast)
Bongo Starz (Tanzania)
L.A. Veterans (Nigeria)
Syli Nationals (Guinea)
LAPD/LAFD Centurions (USA)
L.A. Lions (Cameroon)
Cali Harambee (Kenya)
The Hawks of Kadou (Togo)
B-Town Stars (Mauritania)
Moroccan Rockets (Morocco)
Leopards (DR Congo)
Lions Teranga (Senegal)
The Copper Bullets (Zambia)
Brave Warriors (Namibia)
Les Eperviers (Togo)
Simba United (Uganda)
Produced by Vuvzela Media and Marketing Co., the event is sponsored in part by Soccer Shop USA, Money Gram International, Red Cross International, Afrozon, Fatal Cut Entertainment, Chivas USA, New Designs Charter School, Turkish Airlines, South African Airlines, Clear Essence Cosmetics, African Trumpet, Carib Press, Immigrant Magazine with support from the Los Angeles Police Department and the Los Angeles Fire Department.
For more information, please call (323) 993-8662 or email www.africansoccerla.com.
According to the U.S. Census, it is estimated that the current population of African immigrants to the United States is about 881,300. In Los Angeles County there are about 26,000 Africans representing almost 3 percent of the black population. African countries in Los Angeles County with the most immigrants include Ethiopia, Nigeria, Ghana, and South Africa.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ohio Son (Trey Potter) Takes Mom (MelRo Potter) to Her First Prom (WATCH)
- DEA Joins Prince Ivestigation; Kendrick Lamar Joined Him in New Video (WATCH)
- Tyler Perry's Atlanta Mansion Sells at Historic Proportions! (Pictures)
- Larry Wilmore: Shut Up! - N**ger * N**ga Are Two Different Things
- FAMU Grad Single Mom (Taylor Hunter) Testament to Power of Perseverance
- THE (05-05-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- EURweb.com Partners with Blackmon Entertainment Media on Exclusive New Media Licensing Deal
- It's GAME Time! Says Fashion Accessory Brand, Sprayground
- Trump Takes GOP Nomination; Will Black America Listen to His Presidential Plan? (Video)
- Afrika Bambaataa Now Accused of Molesting Hundreds of Boys
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here