*FX is hoping that the devotees of socio-political standup comic W. Kaumau Bell will be equally fervent about his new Chris Rock-produced live, late night series “Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell,” a showcase for his topical humor that premieres Thursday, Aug. 9, at 11 p.m.
Buzz around Bell began to percolate following the San Francisco launch of his one-man show.
“In 2007, I was doing standup, but I felt like I wasn’t being able to tackle the issues I wanted to tackle in standup,” he told critics at the recent TCA Press Tour. “So I was like, ‘I’m going to write a one man show.’ Basically, ‘What would I do if I was famous?’ is what I asked myself. And I said, ‘Well, I would have a one man show. I would talk about racism, and I would have a screen onstage, and I would have video clips and slides.’”
And that’s exactly what will be featured in “Totally Biased.” The show, which FX will air live on Thursdays at 11 p.m., features the comic touching on a number of pop culture subjects – including race, sex, politics, class, and culture. The format will mix Bell’s commentary with comedic sketches and features from contributors. [Scroll down to watch the promo.]
Below, Bell explains how his 2007 one-man show eventually caught the attention of Chris Rock and executive producer Chuck Sklar following its Bay Area premiere.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Gap Band Family Feud! Ronnie Wilson Sues Charlie Wilson
- Should Nicole Arbour's ‘Dear Black People’ Video be Banned? (WATCH)
- The Big Reward in Trump's Perennial Race-Baiting
- THE (11-25-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- GS Warriors Make NBA History with 16-0 Season Start (WATCH)
- Marcus D. Spencer (Big Spence) Finds Role in 'Fair Chase'
- 'Barbershop 3' Trailer Mixes Beauty, Comedy and Gang Violence [WATCH]
- Video of Chicago Police Officer Shooting Laquan McDonald Released (WATCH)
- (Video) WATCH: New 'Zootopia' Trailer
- Patti LaBelle Wants to Work with Fetty Wap, Talks Pie Success [WATCH]
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here