*FX is hoping that the devotees of socio-political standup comic W. Kaumau Bell will be equally fervent about his new Chris Rock-produced live, late night series “Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell,” a showcase for his topical humor that premieres Thursday, Aug. 9, at 11 p.m.
Buzz around Bell began to percolate following the San Francisco launch of his one-man show.
“In 2007, I was doing standup, but I felt like I wasn’t being able to tackle the issues I wanted to tackle in standup,” he told critics at the recent TCA Press Tour. “So I was like, ‘I’m going to write a one man show.’ Basically, ‘What would I do if I was famous?’ is what I asked myself. And I said, ‘Well, I would have a one man show. I would talk about racism, and I would have a screen onstage, and I would have video clips and slides.’”
And that’s exactly what will be featured in “Totally Biased.” The show, which FX will air live on Thursdays at 11 p.m., features the comic touching on a number of pop culture subjects – including race, sex, politics, class, and culture. The format will mix Bell’s commentary with comedic sketches and features from contributors. [Scroll down to watch the promo.]
Below, Bell explains how his 2007 one-man show eventually caught the attention of Chris Rock and executive producer Chuck Sklar following its Bay Area premiere.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Duane and Tisha Campbell-Martin Ordered to Turn Over ‘Dr. Ken’ Paychecks
- Cardell Hayes Gets Indicted in Former NFL Player Will Smith's Murder
- Doc Rivers Tearfully Remembers His Mother; Bankrupt: Petey Pablo
- HUD to Sue Landlords if They Deny Housing Over Criminal Records
- Wendy Williams, Steve Harvey, 'The Real' Score Emmy Nominations
- Fetty Wap Sends 'Wake Up' Message to Graduates
- John Wayne's Racist Comments Kill Official Recognition in California Assembly
- Dr. Phil Talks Prince, Nick Gordon & Prescription Drug Epidemic (WATCH)
- THE (04-29-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Beyoncé Partners with Amex & Uber for 'Formation' Fan Experience
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here