*FX is hoping that the devotees of socio-political standup comic W. Kaumau Bell will be equally fervent about his new Chris Rock-produced live, late night series “Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell,” a showcase for his topical humor that premieres Thursday, Aug. 9, at 11 p.m.
Buzz around Bell began to percolate following the San Francisco launch of his one-man show.
“In 2007, I was doing standup, but I felt like I wasn’t being able to tackle the issues I wanted to tackle in standup,” he told critics at the recent TCA Press Tour. “So I was like, ‘I’m going to write a one man show.’ Basically, ‘What would I do if I was famous?’ is what I asked myself. And I said, ‘Well, I would have a one man show. I would talk about racism, and I would have a screen onstage, and I would have video clips and slides.’”
And that’s exactly what will be featured in “Totally Biased.” The show, which FX will air live on Thursdays at 11 p.m., features the comic touching on a number of pop culture subjects – including race, sex, politics, class, and culture. The format will mix Bell’s commentary with comedic sketches and features from contributors. [Scroll down to watch the promo.]
Below, Bell explains how his 2007 one-man show eventually caught the attention of Chris Rock and executive producer Chuck Sklar following its Bay Area premiere.
- Birdman Finally Speaks About Fallout with Lil Wayne (WATCH)
- Presidential Candidates Stymied by Black Lives Matter Movement
- Bounce TV to Launch New Original Series 'In The Cut' Tuesday August 25 at 9:00 p.m.
- John Legend Will Executive Produce and Score Slave Drama Series
- Racist Yells N-word At Black Mom; Lectures Her on Constitution (WATCH)
- Kelly Price Thinks Cops Need to Throw the book at Nick Gordon (WATCH)
- Michael Gordon Bennett Calls Himself America's Whitest Black Kid
- FAMU Awarded $675,000, Multi-Year NCAA Academic Grant
- Naomi Campbell Still Gets Jitters Before Strutting the Runway
- WATCH: Leola Brown Goes in on Pat Houston Outside Bobbi Kristina Funeral
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here