*It’s gettin’ hot in heah!
The race for the White House is starting to get a little more interesting. Both sides have amped up the rhetoric. But it seems that, as usual, the Republicans have shown they can dish it, but can’t take it.
For instance, Vice President Joe Biden sparked a campaign commotion Tuesday, telling voters in southern Virginia on Tuesday that Republican Mitt Romney wanted to put them “back in chains” by deregulating Wall Street. He later mocked Republican criticism over the remark while conceding he meant to use different words.
Campaigning in Danville, Va., Biden said the Republican ticket wanted to “unchain Wall Street” by getting rid of regulations Obama signed into law two years ago. Then, to a crowd that included hundreds of black people, he added: “They’re going to put y’all back in chains.”
Romney’s campaign said the comments marked a “new low” for the Obama campaign.
“The comments made by the vice president of the United States are not acceptable in our political discourse and demonstrate yet again that the Obama campaign will say and do anything to win this election,” said Andrea Saul, Romney’s spokeswoman. “President Obama should tell the American people whether he agrees with Joe Biden’s comments.”
Biden, speaking later in Wytheville, says he had meant to use the term “unshackled.”
But he did not apologize and mocked the Romney campaign for showing outrage.
“If you want to know what’s outrageous, it’s their policies, and the effects of their policies on middle-class Americans,” he said.
Obama’s campaign stood by Biden, saying the comments were a variation on remarks he makes often about the need to “unshackle” the middle class. The campaign said the metaphor was meant to counter Republican calls to unshackle the private sector from Obama-backed regulations.
But the remark still proved to be a distraction, prompting Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter to issue a statement calling the Romney campaign’s outrage “hypocritical.”
Read/learn more at NewsOne.
Watch this AP Report:
- FAMU Awarded $675,000, Multi-Year NCAA Academic Grant
- Naomi Campbell Still Gets Jitters Before Strutting the Runway
- WATCH: Leola Brown Goes in on Pat Houston Outside Bobbi Kristina Funeral
- Danger Sign in Bail for Alleged Cincinnati Police Shooter Ray Tensing
- Terrence Howard’s Ex Sues 'Empire' Star for Assault and Defamation
- Cedric The Entertainer Celebrity Golf Classic Tees Off August 17
- Take a Special Look Inside the Making of 'Straight Outta Compton' (WATCH)
- Report: Leola Brown Thrown Out of Bobbi Kristina Funeral Services
- Lil Kim Claims Mr. Papers Was Physically Abusive
- Jill Scott Talks New Album 'Woman', Motherhood and Longevity
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here