*It’s gettin’ hot in heah!
The race for the White House is starting to get a little more interesting. Both sides have amped up the rhetoric. But it seems that, as usual, the Republicans have shown they can dish it, but can’t take it.
For instance, Vice President Joe Biden sparked a campaign commotion Tuesday, telling voters in southern Virginia on Tuesday that Republican Mitt Romney wanted to put them “back in chains” by deregulating Wall Street. He later mocked Republican criticism over the remark while conceding he meant to use different words.
Campaigning in Danville, Va., Biden said the Republican ticket wanted to “unchain Wall Street” by getting rid of regulations Obama signed into law two years ago. Then, to a crowd that included hundreds of black people, he added: “They’re going to put y’all back in chains.”
Romney’s campaign said the comments marked a “new low” for the Obama campaign.
“The comments made by the vice president of the United States are not acceptable in our political discourse and demonstrate yet again that the Obama campaign will say and do anything to win this election,” said Andrea Saul, Romney’s spokeswoman. “President Obama should tell the American people whether he agrees with Joe Biden’s comments.”
Biden, speaking later in Wytheville, says he had meant to use the term “unshackled.”
But he did not apologize and mocked the Romney campaign for showing outrage.
“If you want to know what’s outrageous, it’s their policies, and the effects of their policies on middle-class Americans,” he said.
Obama’s campaign stood by Biden, saying the comments were a variation on remarks he makes often about the need to “unshackle” the middle class. The campaign said the metaphor was meant to counter Republican calls to unshackle the private sector from Obama-backed regulations.
But the remark still proved to be a distraction, prompting Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter to issue a statement calling the Romney campaign’s outrage “hypocritical.”
Read/learn more at NewsOne.
Watch this AP Report:
- Bokeem Woodbine Looking Like Shaft in ‘Fargo’ Season 2
- Louisiana Cop Exposed in KKK Photo Still On Force; Refuses to Resign
- Man Found With O.J. Simpson’s Stolen Heisman Trophy Arrested
- Afroman Avoids Jail After Punching a Woman in the Face
- ‘The Voice’ Beef: Gwen Stefani Not Happy With Rihanna’s ‘Advisor’ Role?
- Wendy Williams ‘Disappointed’ in Nicki Minaj Checking Miley Cyrus (Watch)
- Deborah Cox Joins Off-Broadway Play about Transgender Identity
- Farrah Franklin (Destiny's Child) Officially Debuts with Sexy New Single: 'Magic and Makeup'
- Black Family Says They Received Racist Threats During Camping Trip
- Prosecutors to Seek Death Penalty for Charleston Church Shooter
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here