So on newsstands in Spain for the August cover of Magazine Fuera de Serie, First Lady Michelle Obama sports an American flag … and nothing else. In fact, her nipple is showing.
While she’d probably never pose for a photo like this, one has to ask about the motivation behind such a risqué depiction of someone who should be regarded with respect.
She looks like a Playboy slave, waiting for her master to seduce her. It’s weird.
One black British writer explains the gesture is blatant racism that somehow almost got overlooked.
Like EURweb on Facebook
This isn’t the first time European media has attempted to push things under the radar with no apology.
Remember that time when Dutch magazine, “Jackie,” wrote a story about Rihanna with the headline “Niggabitch?”
But this time, Michelle’s article is accompanied with a controversial headline: “Michelle Tataranieta De Esclava, Dueña De América” (Michelle Granddaughter of a Slave, Lady of America).
The cover artwork is actually a mashup created by French/English artist Karine Percheron-Daniels and is a play on an enslaved African Guadeloupean painted by French artist Marie-Guilhelmine Benoist in the 1800s.
Racism or not, the piece is a part of a series of famous nudes-Princess Diana, Queen Elizabeth II, Abraham Lincoln, and President Barack Obama.
The artist says the piece offers, “an alternative unexpected reality,” that allows you to, “view famous individuals in a different way.”
Check out the full opinion piece on Clutchmagonline.com.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- After UK’s ‘Brexit’ Vote, Texas Secessionists Call for ‘Texit’
- Mariah Carey to Receive Bravo’s 1st Ever ‘Giving Me Life Achievement Award’
- Parliament-Funkadelic Keyboardist Bernie Worrell Dies at 72
- Erykah Badu Directs Video for Robert Glasper Collabo ‘Maiysha (So Long)’ (Watch)
- TLC Begins Production on Tyler Perry's 'Too Close to Home'
- Deon Cole of ‘Black-ish’ Scores Standup Special on Comedy Central
- Bill Cosby Accuser Drops Defamation Lawsuit, But Still 'In Solidarity' With Alleged Victims
- Trolls Trying to Insult Steph Curry's 3-Year-Old Daughter Mistakenly Tweet Grown Man (See His Response)
- Larenz Tate, Mike Colter Join Queen Latifah’s ‘Girl Trip’
- TV Academy Sues Over Whitney Houston's Illegal Emmy Auction
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here