So on newsstands in Spain for the August cover of Magazine Fuera de Serie, First Lady Michelle Obama sports an American flag … and nothing else. In fact, her nipple is showing.
While she’d probably never pose for a photo like this, one has to ask about the motivation behind such a risqué depiction of someone who should be regarded with respect.
She looks like a Playboy slave, waiting for her master to seduce her. It’s weird.
One black British writer explains the gesture is blatant racism that somehow almost got overlooked.
Like EURweb on Facebook
This isn’t the first time European media has attempted to push things under the radar with no apology.
Remember that time when Dutch magazine, “Jackie,” wrote a story about Rihanna with the headline “Niggabitch?”
But this time, Michelle’s article is accompanied with a controversial headline: “Michelle Tataranieta De Esclava, Dueña De América” (Michelle Granddaughter of a Slave, Lady of America).
The cover artwork is actually a mashup created by French/English artist Karine Percheron-Daniels and is a play on an enslaved African Guadeloupean painted by French artist Marie-Guilhelmine Benoist in the 1800s.
Racism or not, the piece is a part of a series of famous nudes-Princess Diana, Queen Elizabeth II, Abraham Lincoln, and President Barack Obama.
The artist says the piece offers, “an alternative unexpected reality,” that allows you to, “view famous individuals in a different way.”
Check out the full opinion piece on Clutchmagonline.com.
- THE (08-31-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Kanye to Run for President, Revisits Taylor Swift Hijack (WATCH)
- Snoop Dogg Reinterpreted As European Noblemen [LOOK!]
- Watch: Today You Wouldn't Recognize the Little Boy from 'Katrina' (Hint: He's Now a Grown ... Woman!)
- The Soul of the U.S. Open: Serena Williams' Quest; Tournament Preview
- Tiffany Pollard and Her Mother Set to Appear on VH1’s 'Family Therapy'
- Trevor Noah Teases ‘The Daily Show’ Takeover [WATCH]
- Caitlyn Jenner Adult Unisex Costume Timely for Halloween, But LGBT Community Not Amused
- NeNe Leakes Confirms Hosting Gig on ‘Fashion Police’
- FDA Clears the Way for 'The Little Pink Pill' Viagra for Women!
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here