Diane Pucin of the LA Times writes that Douglas, the breakout gymnastics star of the London Games, has the style and personality to cash in for millions in marketing for years to come.
Douglas, a 16-year-old from Virginia Beach, Va., who did not come from a life of privilege but from a background in which her single mother has struggled to pay the mortgage on a condominium, will leave London not only with her medals, but also with the opportunity to become a millionaire. Thanks to those golds. And that smile.
Though Douglas failed to medal in her final event Tuesday, finishing seventh on the balance beam, she is the first American to win team and all-around gold in the same Olympics.
“What she brings to the table is the smile and the personality,” said AJ Maestas, president of Chicago-based Navigate Marketing, which specializes in research, valuation and sponsorship. “If her business is well-managed and her career stays on track, she should make between $2 million and $4 million in endorsement revenue per year for the next four years.”
Tayra Lagomarsino, marketing director for AEG Facilities, which is co-promoting with USA Gymnastics a post-Olympics tour that comes to the United Center on Oct. 14, said ticket sales have increased every day since Douglas and the U.S. team won gold last week.
“We’ve seen an uptick every day of competition,” Lagomarsino said. “Gabby winning those golds, we’re seeing her everywhere.”
Read/learn more at LA Times
- Tyra Banks Rants About Industry Pressure on New Models
- Uzo Aduba Stuns 'The View' Cast with Her Operatic Voice (WATCH)
- Antonio Fargas Gives Props to Rihanna for 'BBHMM'
- Announcing the Luther Vandross Estate's 'Power of Love Experience'
- Google Apologizes for App that Calls Black People 'Gorillas'
- Warren Sapp Might Be Going to Jail for Breaking Plea Deal
- Sizzling Summer Movies Heat Up Box Office
- Black Women Fastest Growing Group of Entrepreneurs in U.S
- Once Homeless and Alone in NYC, Man Receives Yale Scholarship
- Rihanna’s BET Appearance Was Simply Marketing Trickery
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here