*”Good Morning America” co-anchor Robin Roberts announced this morning that she’ll begin medical leave to undergo a bone marrow transplant at the end of this week.
Roberts, 51, said on-air that her last day before an extended absence will be Friday. She plans to check into the hospital next Tuesday to begin preparing for the transplant, which will take place several days later. Her sister Sally-Ann Roberts will be the donor.
In June, Roberts, a breast cancer survivor, announced that she had been diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome (also known as preleukemia), a blood and bone marrow disease.
Throughout the week, “Good Morning America” will air segments celebrating “Robin’s Journey.”
ABC’s Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric and Barbara Walters are among the talents who will pinch hit for Roberts during her absence. Roberts plans to return to “GMA” after her recovery, though a specific date has not been set.
- THE (08-03-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Bobby Shmurda, Girlfriend Plead Not Guilty to New Weapons Charges
- After Five Seasons, ‘Key & Peele’ Ending Comedy Central Run
- Neo-Soul Duo Presents Annual ‘Kindred the Family Reunion’ in Philly
- Amber Rose Reacts to Trolls Who Criticize 'Slut Walk' Initiative
- Neechy Gospel: New Music Video From Jonathan McReynolds LIMP
- Birdman Finally Speaks About Fallout with Lil Wayne (WATCH)
- Presidential Candidates Stymied by Black Lives Matter Movement
- Bounce TV to Launch New Original Series 'In The Cut' Tuesday August 25 at 9:00 p.m.
- John Legend Will Executive Produce and Score Slave Drama Series
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here