*”Good Morning America” co-anchor Robin Roberts announced this morning that she’ll begin medical leave to undergo a bone marrow transplant at the end of this week.
Roberts, 51, said on-air that her last day before an extended absence will be Friday. She plans to check into the hospital next Tuesday to begin preparing for the transplant, which will take place several days later. Her sister Sally-Ann Roberts will be the donor.
In June, Roberts, a breast cancer survivor, announced that she had been diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome (also known as preleukemia), a blood and bone marrow disease.
Throughout the week, “Good Morning America” will air segments celebrating “Robin’s Journey.”
ABC’s Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric and Barbara Walters are among the talents who will pinch hit for Roberts during her absence. Roberts plans to return to “GMA” after her recovery, though a specific date has not been set.
- Diddy's Fall, Racist Arsonists, Nene Leakes and More News! | BHL's This Week
- WATCH: Deleted Scene from 'Home' Starring Rihanna, Jim Parsons
- Motorist Sues Bobbi Kristina as Family Prepares for Her Funeral
- Goodbye Clippers, Hello Mavericks! DeAndre Bolts from LA to Dallas
- Oprah is Hiring - 2015 Jobs Available in L.A. and N.Y.
- Lee England, Jr: You've Never Heard Violin Like This! (Covers Bey, Adele and Yeah, Mozart Too!) Photos
- Kim Burrell Returns with 'Thank You Jesus'
- Ava DuVernay WON'T Be Directing Marvel's 'Black Panther'
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Welcomes Daughter
- TMZ Claims Someone is Shopping Bobbi Kristina's Death Bed Photo
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here