That’s what the Kenyan authorities are saying to teachers in that country who are demanding increases in salaries and allowances.
Now that the the government has stated that it doesn’t have the money, it looks like the teachers are going to impose a nationwide strike starting September 3.
Teachers Service Commission Secretary Gabriel Lengoiboni yesterday said that he had received a response from Treasury noting that the government has no money to pay teachers.
“The response to my earlier letter to Treasury says that the government does have money to pay teachers because no amount was factored in the current budget,” he said.
TSC, which is now a constitutional independent body that employs teachers, had on August 17 wrote to treasury and saying what teachers were requesting was legal.
Lengoiboni’s letter requested treasury to consider in harmonizing teachers’ 300 per cent demand of salaries and allowances. Lengoiboni added that the Ministry of Finance has indicated that it would allocate funds to meet the teachers’ demand in the next financial year.
Asked what would happen with an already impending strike announced by teachers if their demands are not met, Lengoiboni said that negotiations were however still going on with the government.
Read/learn more at AllAfrica.com.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Peter Thomas and Cynthia Bailey Catch New Legal Battle
- Designer of Prince’s Purple Rain, Lovesexy & Parade Album Covers Reminisces
- Prince’s Music Vault Reportedly ‘Drilled Open’ by Bank Overseeing Estate
- Four 911 Calls Made from Paisley Park Between 2013 and Prince’s Death
- Joy Reid to Take Over Melissa Harris Perry’s Former MSNBC Timeslots
- EUR on the Red Carpet with Key and Peele's New Funny Flick, 'Keanu' (Watch)
- Larry Wilmore on Hosting Final WHCD Under Obama: ‘I’m Very Nervous’
- Beyonce’s Protégé Duo Chloe x Halle Premiere EP ‘Sugar Symphony’ (Listen)
- Rookie Cop Beats Handcuffed Woman & it's Caught on Camera! (WATCH)
- Prince Death Probe: Authorities Looking for 'Friendly' Docs who Prescribed Pills
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here