*Football season is just around the corner so we thought we’d give you an update and overview of one of the NFL’s most versatile players, Kordell Stewart, who officially retired from the league back in May after a long career.
It shocked many that Stewart retired considering he hasn’t played in the league in years, and has been appearing on ESPN as an analyst.
Stewart was a groundbreaking quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers leading them to numerous playoff appearances.
He was one of the much talked about 90s black quarterbacks who made the transition from college to the pros smoothly.
Here’s a list of 5 facts you may have not known about the former Steelers star:
1. Date of Birth
The athlete known as “Slash” was born on October 16, 1972, in New Orleans, Louisiana.
His mother, Florence Stewart, died after a long fight against liver cancer when he was twelve. His father, Robert Stewart, had to toil long hours at an assortment of jobs to take care of Kordell and his other two children.
Pittsburgh Steelers color commentator Myron Cope gave Stewart the nickname “Slash” due to his abilities as a utility player able to play other positions such as running back / wide receiver / punter / returner.
4. Second All-Time
Among NFL quarterbacks, his 38 rushing touchdowns ranks second all-time, behind Steve Young’s 43.
5. Versatile Player
The NFL Network named him #6 on its list of the 10 most versatile players in NFL history.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Mental Health Therapist Teaches Victims to Forgive
- THE (05-04-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Eddie Murphy and Girlfriend Paige Butcher Welcome Baby Girl
- Khloé Kardashian Reportedly Boots Ex’s Daddy from his Home
- Michael Strahan Tells 'Extra' He's Not Listening to Rumors About Him
- Now That Beyonce is Done Eating from the White Man’s Hand, She’s Finally Ready to Be A Negro (How Convenient)
- Monica Forgives Shannon, Philly Pushers Approve of Steph Curry
- John McCain’s Son Rips Old Navy’s Racist Trolls With Wife Pics
- Jada Pinkett Smith Shares Personal Memories of Tupac’s Mom, Afeni Shakur
- Dwyane Wade Emotional After Learning He Was Prince’s Favorite Player
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here