*Sony/ATV Music Publishing, a joint venture between Sony Corp. and the estate of Michael Jackson, will take over worldwide administration of Michael Jackson’s Mijac Music Catalog, which had been under Warner/Chappell Music Publishing since its inception in 1980.
In addition to Michael Jackson’s own songs, Mijac includes the Sly and the Family Stone catalog and songs by Philly Soul creators Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff, as well as songs made famous by artists such as Ray Charles, Elvis Presley and Aretha Franklin.
In a statement, Sony/ATV chairman and CEO Martin Bandier said: “Everyone at Sony/ATV looks forward to finding innovative ways to use these songs while protecting their legacy.”
The agreement comes in advance of the Sept. 18 release of “Bad25,” a new two-disc-package and DVD that marks the 25th anniversary of Michael’s landmark “Bad” album. The Warner/Chappell agreement was fulfilled with the release of the “Michael” album in December 2010, sources say.
“We are excited that the company Michael helped found, Sony/ATV Music Publishing, and in which his Estate remains a 50% partner, will represent these amazing songs along with a rich collection of other music recorded by some of our greatest popular artists,” John Branca and John McClain, co-executors of the Michael Jackson estate, said in a statement.
In addition to Sly and The Family Stone and Jackson’s own songs, the Mijac catalog includes “Ain’t No Stoppin’ Us Now,” “After Midnight,” “Ease on Down the Road,” “Great Balls of Fire,” “(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher,” “I Got A Woman,” “If You Don’t Know Me By Now,” “Love Train,” “Mr. Bojangles,” “People Get Ready,” “Runaround Sue,” “Shake, Rattle and Roll,” “Sixteen Candles,” “The Wanderer”, “What’d I Say,” “When a Man Loves a Woman” and “You Don’t Know Me.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Chamique Holdsclaw Talks Mind/Game Documentary, Personal Struggle With Mental Illness
- Twitter Trolls React to Old Navy Ad Featuring Interracial Family
- Arsenio Hall Denies Sinead O’Connor's Prince Drug Claim
- Parents, Students Stunned as 2,700 Detroit Teachers 'Call in Sick'
- Beyonce Shows Up at the Met Gala Without U-Know-Who (WATCH)
- Robertson Treatment Syndicated Column (RTSC): Logan Westbrooks, Music Industry Pioneer
- Tupac Shakur's Mother Afeni Shakur-Davis Dies at 69
- No Biggie. White House Shrugs off Recent N-word Controversy
- The Socialist's Journal: 'Meternity Leave'
- Meet the Black Businessman Giving Ex-Cons, Veterans, and Homeless Support for Success
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here