Here’s an excerpt from the Hollywood Reporter’s coverage of her Los Angeles fundraising trip.
Wrapping up her second Los Angeles fundraiser Sunday, Michelle Obama wowed the Hollywood crowd at the Los Angeles home of Warner Bros. CEO Barry Meyer, who urged action to keep the president in office.
“This election is about our values,” the First Lady told the crowd. “We’re doing this because of the vision for this country that we all share. And we have to remember that this is about values and vision.”
According to sources at the event, the evening began with an impassioned speech by Meyer, who told about 100 guests that they needed to remember “why we’re involved in politics,” one guest said. “It’s to support a president who believes in all the things we believe in.”
After Meyer’s introduction, the First Lady told the crowd that she enjoys coming to Los Angeles because it is “always a refreshing experience because the love and support and the sophistication around the issues and the passion always gives both me and Barack an important boost.”
“We believe that everyone in this country should do their fair share — as Barry said, that means that teachers and firefighters should not pay higher tax rates than millionaires and billionaires. Not in America. And we all believe in hard work, but we believe that if you work hard, you shouldn’t go bankrupt because someone in your family gets sick. You shouldn’t lose your home because somebody is down on their luck and they’ve lost a job. And after a lifetime of hard work, you should be able to retire with some dignity and security in this country.”
Despite speculation earlier this year that studio heads — including Meyer — would withhold their support for Obama after he nixed SOPA, it was clear Sunday that Hollywood’s power brokers are on board — especially now that Mitt Romney has moved further to the right by choosing Rep. Paul Ryan as his running mate, guests said.
Read/learn more at The Hollywood Reporter.
- Lorraine Toussaint Talks Playing Morris Chestnut’s Mama on ‘Rosewood’
- O.J. Simpson Fuming: Women Have Stopped Sending Him Commissary Money
- Gospel Sensation Naomi B Releases New Single, ‘Break Free’ (LISTEN)
- White Police Chief Gets Home Detention for Killing Unarmed Black Man
- Casting Complete for Brandy’s New BET Series ‘Zoe Ever After’
- Rosie O’Donnell Checks Elisabeth Hasselbeck for Calling #BlackLivesMatter a Hate Group
- Perspective on Harris Co. Deputy's Death by Project 21 Member Who Served with Him
- RHOA Fight: Cynthia Bailey Kicked Porsha Williams in the Stomach (Report)
- James Bond Author Now ‘Sorry’ for Calling Idris Elba ‘Too Street’
- Janet Jackson Drops Missy Elliott Collabo at ‘Unbreakable’ Tour Launch (Clips)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here