*The Arkansas NAACP State Conference and Craighead County Branch NAACP made the following joint statement on the investigation into the alleged suicide of Chavis Carter in Jonesboro, AR on July 28, 2012. Police claim that Carter, a twenty-one year old, committed suicide while handcuffed in the back seat of a patrolman’s car.
“The Arkansas State Conference of the NAACP and the Craighead County Branch of the NAACP express our deepest condolences to the family of Chavis Carter, and call upon the Jonesboro Police Department, FBI and Justice Department to conduct a thorough, transparent and unbiased investigation into Mr. Carter’s death.
The public relies upon police to serve and protect all citizens, no matter their race or ethnicity. As civil servants, police have been sworn to protect all citizens and the laws of the land of which they serve. Anything other than an unbiased investigation will threaten the legitimacy of policing and the fairness and effectiveness of our criminal justice system.”
Founded in 1909, the NAACP is the nation’s oldest and largest civil rights organization. Its members throughout the United States and the world are the premier advocates for civil rights in their communities, conducting voter mobilization and monitoring equal opportunity in the public and private sectors.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 'Natural' Black Bride Goes Viral - The Game Taunts Chris Brown
- Óscar Jaenada Says 'The Shallows' Set to 'Become A Classic’ [EUR Exclusive]
- Miramax Acquires Whitney Doc, Johnnie Cochran Film Finds Director
- Fewer Sex Partners Leads To Divorce, Nick Young & Iggy Azalea 'Split' | BHL's This Week (WATCH)
- Tamron Hall Reveals Her Fear Of Love
- Will Smith Admits That ‘Wild Wild West’ Was a Bad Career Move
- Las Vegas Prince Tribute Show A Hit Since Singer's Passing
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Texas Woman Wakes Up From Jaw Surgery with British Accent (WATCH)
- Kanye West Unveils Mind Blowing, Voyeuristic 'Famous' Video (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here