*The Arkansas NAACP State Conference and Craighead County Branch NAACP made the following joint statement on the investigation into the alleged suicide of Chavis Carter in Jonesboro, AR on July 28, 2012. Police claim that Carter, a twenty-one year old, committed suicide while handcuffed in the back seat of a patrolman’s car.
“The Arkansas State Conference of the NAACP and the Craighead County Branch of the NAACP express our deepest condolences to the family of Chavis Carter, and call upon the Jonesboro Police Department, FBI and Justice Department to conduct a thorough, transparent and unbiased investigation into Mr. Carter’s death.
The public relies upon police to serve and protect all citizens, no matter their race or ethnicity. As civil servants, police have been sworn to protect all citizens and the laws of the land of which they serve. Anything other than an unbiased investigation will threaten the legitimacy of policing and the fairness and effectiveness of our criminal justice system.”
Founded in 1909, the NAACP is the nation’s oldest and largest civil rights organization. Its members throughout the United States and the world are the premier advocates for civil rights in their communities, conducting voter mobilization and monitoring equal opportunity in the public and private sectors.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- BHERC Presents 'Reel Black Men' Short Film Festival on October 24
- Lil Wayne Says Birdman Stiffed Drake, Nicki Minaj Out of Money
- Cosmo Blasted for Declaring Kardashians 'America's First Family'
- TV One to Re-Air Original ‘Roots’; Louis Gossett Jr. Reminisces: ‘We Stopped the World’
- Parents of Bullied Boy Who Committed Suicide, Sue Florida School District
- Debbi Morgan to Play Toni Braxton’s Mom Evelyn in Lifetime Biopic; Full Cast Announced
- Wanda Sykes Cast in ABC's ‘Black-ish’, Showtime's 'House of Lies'
- Gabrielle Union to Star in ‘A Meyers Christmas’ for Universal
- Matt Barnes Still Swears He Had Something With Rihanna: ‘I’m Too Grown to Lie’
- Damien Sneed Performs During International Breast Cancer Awareness Week in Spain
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here