Only problem is, doctors say there’s no evidence the pills—which can pose serious health risks—actually work.
Check out what Eliza Shapiro wrote about extreme breastfeeding.
New moms across the country are popping pills meant to alleviate gastrointestinal distress—not because their stomachs hurt, but because they want more breast milk.
The drugs are typically prescribed by lactation consultants—specialists who help women cope with breastfeeding issues—who say the pills can increase prolactin, the hormone responsible for breast-milk production. But a growing chorus of doctors says there is little if any evidence that the drugs—one of which has not been approved by the FDA—are actually effective at boosting prolactin. More troubling, they say, the drugs can pose serious health risks to women who use them.
The two most popular drugs, according to medical and lactation experts, are Reglan, which has been found in rare cases to cause an irreversible facial muscle-spasm condition, and Domperidone, which is not FDA-approved and mostly found via Canadian online pharmacies. One of Reglan’s side effects, according to the FDA, is depression—a condition some new mothers are already at risk of.
While the exact number of women using the drugs is difficult to determine, the topic is hotly discussed at breastfeeding support groups like La Leche League and in online new-mother forums. On the Fertile Thoughts blog, for example, commenters have referred to Domperidone as a “wonder drug” and traded tips on where to find it. One site, BigMountainDrugs.com, was recently listing 1,000 capsules for $118, alongside advertisements for discounted Viagra.
Read/learn more at The Daily Beast.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Taraji P. Henson Blames Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mixup on Her Friends (Watch)
- Gil Robertson: The 'African American Film Critics Association Awards' Interview with Kam Williams
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest in Vegas DUI Case
- ‘Black-ish’ To Address Police Brutality in Feb. 24 Episode
- J.Lo's 'Shades of Blue' Scores Second Season
- Lamar Sally: ‘Sherri Shepherd Has Made My Life A Living Hell’
- Super Bowl 50: As Seen From Beyonce’s Instagram
- 'Wendy's Style Squad' Coming to BET
- Bills RB LeSean McCoy Scraps With 3 Off-Duty Cops Over Bubbly
- Flavor Flav to Face Vegas Judge in DUI Case
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here