*Michael Jackson’s father has dropped his wrongful death lawsuit against Conrad Murray, the former doctor who was convicted of causing his son’s death.
Court records show Joe Jackson’s request for a dismissal was granted Monday, reports the AP. The filings don’t give a reason why he’s dropping the lawsuit, but two attorneys handling the case were recently ruled ineligible to practice law in California.
Papa Joe initially filed the lawsuit against Conrad Murray in June 2010, on the anniversary of his son’s death. A federal judge refused to hear it and it had to be re-filed in state court in Los Angeles.
“It’s good finally that this case is dismissed and gone,” Murray’s attorney Charles Peckham said Wednesday. “It’s pretty clear that Joe Jackson intelligently and smartly dismissed this case so he, his wife and children can focus on Michael Jackson’s life instead of the circumstances of his death.”
He said Murray, who remains jailed and is appealing his involuntary manslaughter conviction, remains pained by Jackson’s death and feels sorry for his family. “His heart goes out to them,” Peckham said.
Jackson’s mother, Katherine, continues to pursue a case against concert company AEG Live alleging it negligently hired and supervised Murray, who was giving Jackson nightly doses of the powerful anesthetic propofol as a sleep aid. Her case is scheduled for trial in April.
Joe Jackson’s case claimed Murray repeatedly lied to paramedics and doctors about giving Jackson propofol and that he did not keep adequate medical records — all issues that prosecutors raised against Murray during his trial last year.
He had been seeking damages for a variety of issues, including loss of income and support, emotional distress, and pain and suffering.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ray J Issues Goes Legal on Ex-Business Partner Over Past Kim K Drama
- Beyoncé's Rep Responds to 'B.E.A.T.' Filmmakers 'Credit' Controversy
- What Should Society Do With An 11-Year-Old Murderer?
- Is This the REAL Reason Cam Walked Out of Press Conference? (WATCH)
- Misty Copeland's ‘Ballerina’s Tale’ Also Highlights the #BalletSoWhite Issue
- Ava DuVernay Being Courted to Direct Two Feature Films
- Taraji P. Henson Blames Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mixup on Her Friends (Watch)
- Gil Robertson: The 'African American Film Critics Association Awards' Interview with Kam Williams
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest in Vegas DUI Case
- ‘Black-ish’ To Address Police Brutality in Feb. 24 Episode
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here