*Michael Jackson’s father has dropped his wrongful death lawsuit against Conrad Murray, the former doctor who was convicted of causing his son’s death.
Court records show Joe Jackson’s request for a dismissal was granted Monday, reports the AP. The filings don’t give a reason why he’s dropping the lawsuit, but two attorneys handling the case were recently ruled ineligible to practice law in California.
Papa Joe initially filed the lawsuit against Conrad Murray in June 2010, on the anniversary of his son’s death. A federal judge refused to hear it and it had to be re-filed in state court in Los Angeles.
“It’s good finally that this case is dismissed and gone,” Murray’s attorney Charles Peckham said Wednesday. “It’s pretty clear that Joe Jackson intelligently and smartly dismissed this case so he, his wife and children can focus on Michael Jackson’s life instead of the circumstances of his death.”
He said Murray, who remains jailed and is appealing his involuntary manslaughter conviction, remains pained by Jackson’s death and feels sorry for his family. “His heart goes out to them,” Peckham said.
Jackson’s mother, Katherine, continues to pursue a case against concert company AEG Live alleging it negligently hired and supervised Murray, who was giving Jackson nightly doses of the powerful anesthetic propofol as a sleep aid. Her case is scheduled for trial in April.
Joe Jackson’s case claimed Murray repeatedly lied to paramedics and doctors about giving Jackson propofol and that he did not keep adequate medical records — all issues that prosecutors raised against Murray during his trial last year.
He had been seeking damages for a variety of issues, including loss of income and support, emotional distress, and pain and suffering.
- Teddy Pendergrass, Angie Stone Team For Posthumous ‘Love TKO’ Duet (LISTEN)
- Is the Media Still on that 'Make Black People Look Bad' Thing?
- THE (08-03-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Bobby Shmurda, Girlfriend Plead Not Guilty to New Weapons Charges
- After Five Seasons, ‘Key & Peele’ Ending Comedy Central Run
- Neo-Soul Duo Presents Annual ‘Kindred the Family Reunion’ in Philly
- Amber Rose Reacts to Trolls Who Criticize 'Slut Walk' Initiative
- Neechy Gospel: New Music Video From Jonathan McReynolds LIMP
- Birdman Finally Speaks About Fallout with Lil Wayne (WATCH)
- Presidential Candidates Stymied by Black Lives Matter Movement
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here