*For as long as there have been cars, critics have been saying that our older citizens should not be allowed behind the wheel.
That sentiment is sure to be raised once again in light of what happened on Wednesday in Los Angeles
Eleven people, most of them children, were injured Wednesday afternoon when a 100-year-old man backed his car out of a supermarket parking lot and collided with a group near a school in South Los Angeles.
As of 11 p.m., two children remained hospitalized, one was listed in critical condition, the other in serious condition.
Counselors are set to be available at Main Street Elementary School on Thursday for students who witnessed the collision.
The crash occurred at about 2:30 p.m., shortly after school let out for the day, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department. Eleven people were hospitalized: two adults and nine children, four of whom were seriously injured.
The driver was backing out of the parking lot of a Food 4 Less supermarket near Main Street Elementary School when he collided with the group near 53rd Street just east of Main Street (map).
“I was backing out of the parking lot to go home and lost control. The brakes quit, failed, something,” the driver, who was identified as Preston Carter, told reporters on the scene. “I’m sorry.”
Carter said in an interview with NBC4 that he was not given a ticket at the scene, and added that he was not hurt in the incident and that his license was set to expire Sept. 5.
Read/learn more at NBCLosAngeles.
Watch this video report on the incident:
View more videos at: http://nbclosangeles.com.
- Report: Leola Brown Thrown Out of Bobbi Kristina Funeral Services
- Lil Kim Claims Mr. Papers Was Physically Abusive
- Jill Scott Talks New Album 'Woman', Motherhood and Longevity
- Khloe Kardashian, Lamar Odom Officially End Their Marriage
- K. Michelle Performs at Sold Out Honey Jam Concert, Joined By 'Rebels'
- Browns Suspicious Houstons Will Sneak Pic of Bobbi Kristina's Body: Report
- DIY Zen Living: Make the Most of Whatever Outdoor Space You Have
- The Wiz Casting, Bobbi Kristina, Racial Profiling App, Janet Jackson & More| BHL
- Whoa! Baltimore Sees 43 Homicides in July - A 43 Year Record for A Single Month
- Family Dynamics Cause Scare in Saturday's 'Flex & Shanice' (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here