*Robin Roberts bid her “Good Morning America” viewers farewell this morning, but assured everyone her absence is only temporary.
Roberts’ departure was first planned for Friday, but she told viewers she chose to exit a day early to visit her ailing mother Lucimarian and their family in Mississippi as they deal with Hurricane Isaac.
“I’m having to move up my schedule,” Roberts said on Thursday’s GMA. “I am very blessed. Forty percent of Americans can’t even take a sick day, and here I know that I’m going to have a job when I come back.”
In June, she first disclosed that she has MDS, a blood and bone marrow disease. She will be hospitalized next week to prepare for a bone marrow transplant. The donor will be her older sister, Sally-Ann Roberts, who was on hand for Thursday’s emotional send-off.
It was announced on this morning’s show that a variety of famous folks will be filling in for Roberts, including Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric, Barbara Walters, Kelly Ripa, the cast of “Modern Family,” Chris Rock, Rob Lowe and Oprah Winfrey as well as a few surprise guests.
And while Roberts, also a breast cancer survivor, pointed out that there is “no timetable” as to when she’ll eventually return to work, she did assure her coworkers that she would be watching them “in her jammies.”
Click here to watch Robin discuss her treatment with her sister Sally-Ann and her doctor Dr. Gail Roboz on this morning’s broadcast.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- NYC Cabbie: Roker Snub a ‘Misunderstanding’; Peele & Peretti Get Engaged
- Black Pastors Dispute Donald Trump’s Endorsement Claim for Meeting
- How the #BLM Movement Stays Alive & Effective Outside Spotlight
- THE (11-30-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- 'Carol' Explores Lesbian Love in the 50s
- Uzo Aduba: 'Bigger, Higher and Braver,' Thanks to Queen Latifah
- Mystery Collector Buys Wu-Tang's Album for Millions / Usher's #Eggplant Confession
- The Rise, Fall and Legacy of Berry Gordy's Motown Returns to Broadway
- Kobe Bryant Announces Retirement Via Poem: 'Dear Basketball'
- Holly Holm Asks Beyoncé ‘What’s Your Name?’ in Awkward Vegas Moment
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here