*Robin Roberts bid her “Good Morning America” viewers farewell this morning, but assured everyone her absence is only temporary.
Roberts’ departure was first planned for Friday, but she told viewers she chose to exit a day early to visit her ailing mother Lucimarian and their family in Mississippi as they deal with Hurricane Isaac.
“I’m having to move up my schedule,” Roberts said on Thursday’s GMA. “I am very blessed. Forty percent of Americans can’t even take a sick day, and here I know that I’m going to have a job when I come back.”
In June, she first disclosed that she has MDS, a blood and bone marrow disease. She will be hospitalized next week to prepare for a bone marrow transplant. The donor will be her older sister, Sally-Ann Roberts, who was on hand for Thursday’s emotional send-off.
It was announced on this morning’s show that a variety of famous folks will be filling in for Roberts, including Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric, Barbara Walters, Kelly Ripa, the cast of “Modern Family,” Chris Rock, Rob Lowe and Oprah Winfrey as well as a few surprise guests.
And while Roberts, also a breast cancer survivor, pointed out that there is “no timetable” as to when she’ll eventually return to work, she did assure her coworkers that she would be watching them “in her jammies.”
Click here to watch Robin discuss her treatment with her sister Sally-Ann and her doctor Dr. Gail Roboz on this morning’s broadcast.
- Celebs You Wish You Could Party with on Labor Day Weekend (PHOTOS)
- Gilbert Arenas' Assistant Convicted For Robbing Him of $2.1 Million
- Bobbi Kristina’s Family Upset Over Nick Gordon Visiting Gravesite: Report
- '1st Annual MADCatfish Blues Festival' Jumps Off Labor Day Weekend, at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, CA.
- White Woman Throws Shoes at Talib Kweli for Talking #BlackLivesMatter
- ESPN’s Israel Gutierrez Comes Out Publicly: 'I'm Gay'
- Kareem Abdul Jabbar: Donald Trump's Campaign Will Ultimately Fail (Watch)
- Eazy E’s Daughter Says Suge Knight Did NOT Kill her Dad
- TNT Exclusive: Jazmin Truesdale Gives Black Comic Fans Heroes That Resemble Themselves (Watch)
- Aretha Franklin Sues to Block ‘Amazing Grace’ Screening at Telluride
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here