*Because of the ongoing labor lockout of regular NFL referees, one substitute has a shot at making history.
On Thursday night, Shannon Eastin will be the first woman to officiate an NFL game when she helps call the preseason opener between the San Diego Chargers and the Green Bay Packers.
For Eastin, it’s a personal dream come to fruition.
“It may sound crazy to some people, but I think I can be in the NFL some day,” she told The Arizona Republic back in 1999. “I told them I would go to referee the NFL in Europe for five years if that’s what it takes.”
The Arizona native got her start in sports as a competitor. A former world-class athlete in judo, she won six national championships. At age 11, she was youngest judo athlete ever to be accepted to train at the U.S. Olympic Training Center. She’s been a football referee for sixteen years, the last four working for the Mid-Eastern Atlantic Conference.
A number of players have publicly supported the choice.
“I think it’s a great idea, giving her the opportunity to be out there, calling football,” fullback Le’Ron McClain told U-T San Diego . “It’ll feel kind of weird seeing a lady out there, but I think she’ll do a good job with it.”
Other players referenced Violet Palmer, who with Dee Kantner in 1997, became the first women to referee a professional men’s sport.
“I remember going to a couple basketball games and seeing a woman referee refereeing NBA basketball games,” said tight end Randy McMichael. “A woman is just as capable as a man to do anything.”
Read/learn more at Yahoo Shine.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Toni Braxton to Star in Lifetime Biopic 'Un-Break My Heart'
- NeYo Shares Proposal Video, Slams Ex's Sterilization Claims [WATCH]
- Staples Singers Limited Edition 4-CD Box Set to be Released Nov. 13 from Stax/Concord Music Group
- Whoopi Goldberg Blasts Pro-Lifers: ‘Get Out of My Vagina!’
- Jennifer Hudson Dishes on Film Roles, Style and Weight Loss
- Sparkletainment Presents 'Loves Freedom' a One-woman Stage Performance (WATCH)
- 'Why You Always Lying' Creator Calls Viral Success 'Crazy'
- Deitrick Haddon Unveils Cover of 'MasterPiece'
- How to Successfully Balance Family, Parenting and Entertainment
- Terrence Howard Repays Rapper Petey Pablo with Role on 'Empire'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here