*Because of the ongoing labor lockout of regular NFL referees, one substitute has a shot at making history.
On Thursday night, Shannon Eastin will be the first woman to officiate an NFL game when she helps call the preseason opener between the San Diego Chargers and the Green Bay Packers.
For Eastin, it’s a personal dream come to fruition.
“It may sound crazy to some people, but I think I can be in the NFL some day,” she told The Arizona Republic back in 1999. “I told them I would go to referee the NFL in Europe for five years if that’s what it takes.”
The Arizona native got her start in sports as a competitor. A former world-class athlete in judo, she won six national championships. At age 11, she was youngest judo athlete ever to be accepted to train at the U.S. Olympic Training Center. She’s been a football referee for sixteen years, the last four working for the Mid-Eastern Atlantic Conference.
A number of players have publicly supported the choice.
“I think it’s a great idea, giving her the opportunity to be out there, calling football,” fullback Le’Ron McClain told U-T San Diego . “It’ll feel kind of weird seeing a lady out there, but I think she’ll do a good job with it.”
Other players referenced Violet Palmer, who with Dee Kantner in 1997, became the first women to referee a professional men’s sport.
“I remember going to a couple basketball games and seeing a woman referee refereeing NBA basketball games,” said tight end Randy McMichael. “A woman is just as capable as a man to do anything.”
Read/learn more at Yahoo Shine.
- Tyler, the Creator Banned from UK Over 'Terrorist' Lyrics
- Shannon J. Miles Arrested As Suspect in Killing of Texas Deputy
- Nicole Murphy Addresses Nick Cannon Dating Rumors
- Cedric the Entertainer Hosts 3rd Annual Celebrity Golf Classic [Photos]
- Lorenzo Brown, Husband of Sister-2-Sister Publisher Jamie Brown, Dies of Cancer
- (The Black Hat) Serena Williams is a Winner, Not a Cover Girl
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About Michael Jackson on His Birthday
- 'The Martian': 'Love Letter to Science' -- Matt Damon
- The Film Strip: New York Comic Con Tickets Going Fast
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Daniele Watts & Boyfriend Sentenced
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here