*Because of the ongoing labor lockout of regular NFL referees, one substitute has a shot at making history.
On Thursday night, Shannon Eastin will be the first woman to officiate an NFL game when she helps call the preseason opener between the San Diego Chargers and the Green Bay Packers.
For Eastin, it’s a personal dream come to fruition.
“It may sound crazy to some people, but I think I can be in the NFL some day,” she told The Arizona Republic back in 1999. “I told them I would go to referee the NFL in Europe for five years if that’s what it takes.”
The Arizona native got her start in sports as a competitor. A former world-class athlete in judo, she won six national championships. At age 11, she was youngest judo athlete ever to be accepted to train at the U.S. Olympic Training Center. She’s been a football referee for sixteen years, the last four working for the Mid-Eastern Atlantic Conference.
A number of players have publicly supported the choice.
“I think it’s a great idea, giving her the opportunity to be out there, calling football,” fullback Le’Ron McClain told U-T San Diego . “It’ll feel kind of weird seeing a lady out there, but I think she’ll do a good job with it.”
Other players referenced Violet Palmer, who with Dee Kantner in 1997, became the first women to referee a professional men’s sport.
“I remember going to a couple basketball games and seeing a woman referee refereeing NBA basketball games,” said tight end Randy McMichael. “A woman is just as capable as a man to do anything.”
Read/learn more at Yahoo Shine.
- Kelly Price Thinks Cops Need to Throw the book at Nick Gordon (WATCH)
- Michael Gordon Bennett Calls Himself America's Whitest Black Kid
- FAMU Awarded $675,000, Multi-Year NCAA Academic Grant
- Naomi Campbell Still Gets Jitters Before Strutting the Runway
- WATCH: Leola Brown Goes in on Pat Houston Outside Bobbi Kristina Funeral
- Danger Sign in Bail for Alleged Cincinnati Police Shooter Ray Tensing
- Terrence Howard’s Ex Sues 'Empire' Star for Assault and Defamation
- Cedric The Entertainer Celebrity Golf Classic Tees Off August 17
- Take a Special Look Inside the Making of 'Straight Outta Compton' (WATCH)
- Report: Leola Brown Thrown Out of Bobbi Kristina Funeral Services
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here