*Because of the ongoing labor lockout of regular NFL referees, one substitute has a shot at making history.
On Thursday night, Shannon Eastin will be the first woman to officiate an NFL game when she helps call the preseason opener between the San Diego Chargers and the Green Bay Packers.
For Eastin, it’s a personal dream come to fruition.
“It may sound crazy to some people, but I think I can be in the NFL some day,” she told The Arizona Republic back in 1999. “I told them I would go to referee the NFL in Europe for five years if that’s what it takes.”
The Arizona native got her start in sports as a competitor. A former world-class athlete in judo, she won six national championships. At age 11, she was youngest judo athlete ever to be accepted to train at the U.S. Olympic Training Center. She’s been a football referee for sixteen years, the last four working for the Mid-Eastern Atlantic Conference.
A number of players have publicly supported the choice.
“I think it’s a great idea, giving her the opportunity to be out there, calling football,” fullback Le’Ron McClain told U-T San Diego . “It’ll feel kind of weird seeing a lady out there, but I think she’ll do a good job with it.”
Other players referenced Violet Palmer, who with Dee Kantner in 1997, became the first women to referee a professional men’s sport.
“I remember going to a couple basketball games and seeing a woman referee refereeing NBA basketball games,” said tight end Randy McMichael. “A woman is just as capable as a man to do anything.”
Read/learn more at Yahoo Shine.
- Cynthia Bailey Responds to NeNe Leaving RHOA
- Maybe We Can't Solve World Hunger...But We Can Put a Serious Dent in It By Doing This!
- George Takei Apologizes for Calling Clarence Thomas 'Clown in Blackface'
- ‘Empire’s’ Kaitlin Doubleday Looking Forward to Chris Rock, Alicia Keys
- Paula Deen Says She Didn't Post the Brownface Pic; Her Twitter Handler Did
- Rick Ross Released from Jail after Posting $2 Million Bail
- FSU’s De’Andre Johnson Says Woman Called Him N-Word Before he Hit Her (Report)
- Bobbi Kristina’s Hospice Room Filled with Whitney’s Music, Photos, Scented Candles (Report)
- Donovan McNabb Arrested on Suspicion of DUI - Again
- Serena Advances at Wimbledon with Win Against Victoria Azarenka
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here