*While the nation awaits the imminent release of the latest numbers on poverty from the U.S. Census Bureau, broadcaster Tavis Smiley and Princeton University Professor Emeritus Cornel West, hosts of the nationally syndicated public radio program Smiley & West from Public Radio International (PRI), are once again bringing national attention to economic injustice by announcing “The Poverty Tour 2.0.”
“The Poverty Tour 2.0” will be on the road September 12–15, 2012, visiting four battleground states: Ohio, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Florida, continuing the moral crusade to make the eradication of poverty a top priority in America — a clarion call to President Obama and Governor Romney as the race for the White House heats up.
“We expect that the forthcoming census data will reveal that poverty in America is not an abstraction; too many Americans are living hand to mouth,” said Cornel West. “Basic needs such as living-wage jobs, food, clothing, medicine, and shelter cannot be ignored by the major parties during the upcoming political conventions, or by their respective nominees on the campaign trail.”
Both Smiley and West have been consistent whistle-blowers on the topic of poverty. In addition to discussing this on their weekly radio show they have:
- Released the text, The Rich and the Rest of Us: A Poverty Manifesto this past April, which debuted at #1 on The Washington Post Book World Best Sellers List and peaked at #7 on The New York Times Best Sellers List.
- Featured an all-woman panel focusing on the impact of poverty on women and children in America at “Made Visible: Women and Children in Poverty” on March 18, 2012, broadcast nationally on PBS, C-SPAN and PRI. The panel included U.S. Labor Secretary Hilda Solis and president of the American Federation of Teachers, Randi Weingarten.
- Explored how to restore America’s prosperity in a live C-SPAN broadcast
of “Remaking America: From Poverty to Prosperity” that included panelists such as Michael Moore, Suze Orman, and Barbara Ehrenreich on January 12, 2012.
- Examined the impact of the Great Recession on America’s poor in a white paper titled, “At Risk: America’s Poor During and After the Great Recession.” This paper served as a factual foundation for the original Poverty Tour and was released in collaboration with Indiana University’s School of Public and Environmental Affairs (SPEA) on January 11, 2012. This white paper has since been expanded and will be published as a book, America’s Poor, this winter.
- Given voice to the plight of the poor during “The Poverty Tour: A Call to Conscience,” a week-long special television and radio series on both PBS and PRI that aired from October 7–14, 2011.
- Revealed the new face of poverty with their national 18-city, 11-state “The
Poverty Tour: A Call to Conscience” that began on August 6, 2011.
According to last week’s Associated Press article, “Poverty is spreading at record levels across many groups, from underemployed workers and suburban families to the poorest poor. More discouraged workers are giving up on the job market, leaving them vulnerable as unemployment aid begins to run out. Suburbs are seeing increases in poverty including in political battlegrounds [states]…”
During “The Poverty Tour 2.0,” Smiley and West will host FREE and open to the public, solution-providing town hall meetings that will broadcast LIVE on multiple platforms including USTREAM, radio and social media. They will also upload podcasts. In addition to inviting local families, community organizers, job cooperatives, elected officials, war veterans, and religious leaders, the major presidential candidates will also be invited to participate.
“It is our intent that in the sprint from Labor Day to Election Day, poor people do not get trampled on or left behind,” said Tavis Smiley.
To follow “The Poverty Tour 2.0,” please visit: www.smileyandwest.com.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Jada Pinkett-Smith Addresses Idris Elba's 'Beasts' Oscar Snub
- Aaron Neville Brings His Quintet to Santa Monica ... and Shares His 'True Story' With EURweb
- For My Animal Loving Friends, Check Out This Unlikely Pair! (Watch)
- Toronto Councillor Want Beyonce Investigated for Black Panther Ties
- He Used to Walk 21-Miles to Work, Now He Drives & is Overweight
- Malcolm Jamal Warner on Ride-Or-Die Friendship Between OJ and AC (Exclusive)
- Master P Sued Over Failure to Deliver Snoop Dogg in Dubai
- Grammys: Ice Cube & Son to Present; Miguel to Sing 'She's Out Of My Life'
- Yolanda Adams Added to Fox’s Live Musical ‘The Passion’
- Lance Stephenson Drags Ex K. Michelle Over ‘Down in the DM’ Remix
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here