*The Rev. Fred Luter knew that his election as the first African-American president of the nation’s largest Protestant denomination would make headlines, reports the Montgomery Advertiser.
But he couldn’t have predicted the whirlwind that his life has become over the past two months.
“It’s been nonstop, it’s been engaging, it’s been enlightening,” Luter said this week before preaching to a large crowd at Lakeview Baptist Church in Auburn. It was one of many sermons he’s delivered recently to churches in the predominantly white Southern Baptist Convention.
His election earned phone calls from President Barack Obama, and GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s office, along with personal letters from former presidents Bill Clinton, and Jimmy Carter. He’s been interviewed by several major media outlets and TV news magazines.
And three weeks ago, he was an honored guest at the North Carolina home of evangelist Billy Graham, an experience Luter described as “like meeting Moses for the first time.”
Read the full story at the Montgomery Advertiser.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- FAMU Grad Single Mom (Taylor Hunter) Testament to Power of Perseverance
- THE (05-05-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- EURweb.com Partners with Blackmon Entertainment Media on Exclusive New Media Licensing Deal
- It's GAME Time! Says Fashion Accessory Brand, Sprayground
- Trump Takes GOP Nomination; Will Black America Listen to His Presidential Plan? (Video)
- Afrika Bambaataa Now Accused of Molesting Hundreds of Boys
- Prince Offered to Mentor Chris Brown After Rihanna Incident
- OWN Staff Blindsided by Exit of Oprah’s Longtime Confident Sheri Salata (Report)
- FoxNews.Com Pulls Comment Section of Malia Obama Story After Racists Take Over
- Pres. Obama Drinks Filtered Flint Water to Show It's Safe (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here