*Both Spike Lee and Chris Rock have reasons to smile. Their movies debuted with strong numbers in one of the toughest cities in the country: New York. Spike Lee’s “Red Hook Summer,” was placed on four New York screens. The film, which follows 13-year-old Flik Royale as he is sent from Atlanta to Red Hook,Brooklyn to live with his preacher grandfather, grossed an estimated $42,100.
Released by Variance Films/40 Acres and A Mule Filmworks, the movie will expand in the NYC area next week and go national on August 24.
“We’re very excited,” said Dylan Marchetti, president of Variance Films, “We made sure the film was available to audiences in Harlem and of course, the Republic of Brooklyn right on the break, and the reaction from the crowds showed it was clearly worth it.”
Variance and Lee’s 40 Acres plan to keep ‘Red Hook Summer’ in the New York area next week, followed by an expansion into Atlanta, D.C., Chicago, Baltimore, Philadelphia and L.A. in two weeks with more expansions to come on August 31st.
Meanwhile the new addition of Chris Rock to French filmmaker Julie Delpy’s film, “2 Days in New York” appears to be a winner. The film, a romantic comedy starring Delpy and Rock, is a sequel to Julie Delpy’s 2007 film, “2 Days in Paris.” It grossed $27,000 from only two New York screens; the best of any film this past weekend.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Flashback - Kobe Bryant Ponders Life after Basketball: ‘I’ve Got to Find My Passion’
- Serena Williams is Half-Naked in 2016 Pirelli Calendar (Pics)
- Miami Jury Now Holds Fate of 'Facebook Killer' In Their Hands! (Disturbing Photo)
- What Does Future Require In His Concert Dressing Rooms?
- Female Characters in ‘The Wiz Live!’ Rewritten to be More Empowered
- John Hairston's Gospel Internet Radio Station Hits the Airwaves in January
- 'He Used to Call Me Ma’am' - A Look Back at Kobe Bryant
- $1.5 Million Bail for Cop Charged in Laquan McDonald Murder
- Keyshia Cole Casually Mentions She’s ‘Engaged’, and Not to Birdman
- Donald Trump Cancels Meeting with Black Pastors
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here