*Both Spike Lee and Chris Rock have reasons to smile. Their movies debuted with strong numbers in one of the toughest cities in the country: New York. Spike Lee’s “Red Hook Summer,” was placed on four New York screens. The film, which follows 13-year-old Flik Royale as he is sent from Atlanta to Red Hook,Brooklyn to live with his preacher grandfather, grossed an estimated $42,100.
Released by Variance Films/40 Acres and A Mule Filmworks, the movie will expand in the NYC area next week and go national on August 24.
“We’re very excited,” said Dylan Marchetti, president of Variance Films, “We made sure the film was available to audiences in Harlem and of course, the Republic of Brooklyn right on the break, and the reaction from the crowds showed it was clearly worth it.”
Variance and Lee’s 40 Acres plan to keep ‘Red Hook Summer’ in the New York area next week, followed by an expansion into Atlanta, D.C., Chicago, Baltimore, Philadelphia and L.A. in two weeks with more expansions to come on August 31st.
Meanwhile the new addition of Chris Rock to French filmmaker Julie Delpy’s film, “2 Days in New York” appears to be a winner. The film, a romantic comedy starring Delpy and Rock, is a sequel to Julie Delpy’s 2007 film, “2 Days in Paris.” It grossed $27,000 from only two New York screens; the best of any film this past weekend.
- Snoop Dogg Has Over $200K Seized at Italian Airport
- ‘Straight Outta Compton’: The Most Important Film of the Year
- Bobbi Kristina and Whitney: Reunited in Death; Buried Side by Side
- Will Smith Makes it Clear: 'Jada and I are NOT GETTING A DIVORCE!'
- Melba Moore Defends Bill Cosby: 'Nobody's Perfect' (WATCH)
- Bobby Brown's Wife Alicia Etheredge Suffers Seizure After Funeral of Bobbi Kristina
- Hump Nails: Yay or Hell to the Nah! (Provide Your Own Fun Captions for Jellybean Win!)
- Ice-T & Coco Talk New Baby, New Talk Show and Breeding Out Racism
- Drama Developing: Bobbi Kristina Casket Pic Sold for Over $100K
- Aretha Franklin: The Queen Rules L.A. - Review by Miki Turner
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here