*On behalf of the Board of Directors of the Los Angeles Urban League, Board Chair Noel Massie announces that Walsh/Shea Corridor Constructors is the Title Sponsor for the Los Angeles Urban League /Jim Hill Celebrity Golf Classic to be played Friday, September 21, 2012. The Golf Classic will be held at the Industry Hills Golf Club at Pacific Palms Resort in Industry Hills. Co-hosted by KCBS/KCAL legendary sportscaster Jim Hill, the Golf Classic is an agency signature event, and a unique day on the links for a critical cause featuring legends and stars from sports, entertainment, media, politics and community.
The Walsh-Shea Corridor Constructors is comprised of Walsh, Shea, HNTB, Comstock and ARUP; who have come together to provide the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro), a combination of highly experienced local and national transit resources, coupled with the talent and resources of the greater LA community.
“The generous support of Walsh/Shea is appreciated by the Los Angeles Urban League Board,” said Noel Massie, President, UPS California Central District. “Walsh/Shea’s investment in our communities via this unique partnership evolving from the metro rail construction plans for the Crenshaw Corridor sends a resounding message of commitment to the well being of neighborhoods in South Los Angeles. We are looking forward to sharing a fun day of golf and networking at our annual Golf Classic with our partners and guests.”
Walsh/Shea Corridor Constructors have made a significant contribution to support the League’s annual Jim Hill Celebrity Golf Classic; which provides critical funding for agency community service initiatives such as Neighborhoods@Work®, Early Childhood Development & State Preschool and Workforce Development. The Walsh/Shea sponsorship is part of an engagement with the League centered on the Crenshaw Corridor Metro Rail Construction project and contractor bid process.
“Walsh/Shea is honored to be the major sponsor of the League’s Golf Classic, supporting its ability to continue more than 90 years of invaluable service to Los Angeles and the Crenshaw District,” said Ben Withered, Deputy Project Manager of the Walsh/Shea design-build team. “We are proud to partner with the League in our single-minded focus of achieving every goal and objective that Metro has set for the Crenshaw-LAX Project. The Los Angeles Urban League is critical to understanding the importance of Metro’s goals on the project and the community. Collectively, Walsh-Shea Corridor Constructors will produce a safe project that is on-time, on-budget, and creates the least amount of disruption with the highest benefit to the community.”
For more information about the Golf Classic, call the League at 323.299.9660 x2256.
Celebrity golfers have included: Lee Elder; Howard Hewitt; Marty McSorley; Sugar Ray Leonard; Frank Robinson; Johnny Gill; Oscar de la Hoya; Vince Ferragamo; Dawn Lewis; Joe Torry; Jim Fox; Fred Williamson; Willie Gault; Harvey Mason; Pat Boone; Beverly Johnson; Bruce McNall; TJ Simers; Kathleen Bradley-Redd; Marcus Allen, Barry Bonds; Byron Scott; and James Worthy.
Supporters of the 2012 Los Angeles Urban League/Jim Hill Celebrity Golf Classic include: Mattel; Disney; Farmer’s Insurance; US Bank; Union Bank; Verizon; State Farm; Southern California Edison; UPS; Starbucks; American Airlines; Wells Fargo; Bank of America; Westin Bonaventure Hotel; Enterprise Rent A Car; AEG Worldwide; Los Angeles Lakers; Ziffren Brittenham; LA Convention Bureau; Bunnin Chevrolet; and AECOM.
Recent accomplishments of the League include:
- More than 75,000 individuals received services in 2011/2012 through League WorkSource Centers
- 34CrenshawHigh Schoolstudents traveled toChinafor cultural exchange and to explore their roles within the global economy
- Violent crimes were reduced by over 32% since 2007 inParkMesaHeightsand graduation rates atCrenshawHigh Schoolare up 51%
- 90 children and children at the League’s State Pre-schools received backpacks, books and curriculum guide for a summer reading program
About the Los Angeles Urban League
Founded in 1921, the Los Angeles Urban League is the city’s premier community organization in advancing equal opportunities on behalf of African Americans and other minority youths and adults through innovative job training, job placement, youth achievement and business development programs. Through its collective programs, services – Neighborhoods@Work®, Early Childhood Development & State Preschool, and Workforce Development – and advocacy activities and with five offices located in the Crenshaw District, South Los Angeles, and Pomona, the Los Angeles Urban League serves over 100,000 constituents annually. Overseen by a dedicated Board of Directors and accomplished Executive Team, the Los Angeles Urban League is one of the largest and most successful affiliates of the National Urban League, which has affiliates in 90 cities throughout the United States.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Baltimore Mayor Compares Cop/Community Relations to Bad Marriage
- Malcolm Jamal Warner: ‘Cosby Show’ Legacy ‘Tarnished’ by Bill Cosby (Watch)
- Raven Symone Says She Wouldn't Hire Someone With Ethnic Sounding Name; #BlackTwitter Pounces
- What Happened to US Government Employee Kanika Powell?
- Danny Glover Joins Gabrielle Union's ‘A Meyer’s Christmas’; Ernie Hudson Added to ‘Graves’
- Detroit Woman’s ‘Dead Body on Lawn’ Halloween Prank Draws 911 Calls
- New Radio Station: ItzYourzRadioLive.com Now Broadcasting
- You Could Break the Bank Going to 'The Happiest Place On Earth!'
- Walter Scott’s Family Gets $6.5M in Settlement With N. Charleston (Watch)
- ‘Star Wars’ Actor John Boyega to Racist Fans: ‘I’m In the Movie, What Are You Gonna Do About It?’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here