In a video courtesy of Mediabistro, the talk show maven tells how she got her first big break in radio. Fiercely focused, she landed in the Virgin Islands at WVIS radio with two very definitive insights.
“When I got to the island, there were a few things that I already knew. Number one: I am not here to make friends or fall in love. I gave myself one year to get a job on the mainland and get off the island. I had no time to make friends, because friends cost money and I had to use every dime that I made to call the states to schmooze program directors and try to get a job. So, I had no friends by design. I had no sex by design, because I couldn’t afford to slip up and get pregnant.”
In sharing about breaking into New York’s 103.5 FM she says,
“The DJs were all Hispanic and Italian; they didn’t have a Black — Blackie at your service … I hopped in my Subaru and drove up to the radio station in Astoria,Queens. I showed up at the radio station at midnight and they loved me. Ironically speaking, you know what he loved about me? He loved that my skin was black and my delivery was white.”
Check out this YouTube video to hear Ms. Williams in her own, candid words.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Antoine Fuqua to Direct ‘Training Day’ Series for CBS
- Chicago Cop Fatally Shoots Teen, Then Sues His Family
- Jay Z's Tidal Selects #BlackLivesMatter for $1.5M Donation
- EUR Exclusive 'Hit the Floor Clip: Funny/Sexy Tension in 'Vegas (WATCH)
- New 'Ghostbusters' Character Images Revealed
- Kerry Washington Talks Pressures Black Women Face
- Cam Newton Stars in New Beats by Dre Ad Featuring Future (WATCH)
- Bronx is Latest Location for NYC 'Subway Slasher' (Lone Suspect is Red Haired Brotha')
- L.A. Reid Confesses to Wendy He Failed Whitney Houston (WATCH)
- NFL Great Jerry Rice is Driving for Lyft in San Francisco (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here