In a video courtesy of Mediabistro, the talk show maven tells how she got her first big break in radio. Fiercely focused, she landed in the Virgin Islands at WVIS radio with two very definitive insights.
“When I got to the island, there were a few things that I already knew. Number one: I am not here to make friends or fall in love. I gave myself one year to get a job on the mainland and get off the island. I had no time to make friends, because friends cost money and I had to use every dime that I made to call the states to schmooze program directors and try to get a job. So, I had no friends by design. I had no sex by design, because I couldn’t afford to slip up and get pregnant.”
In sharing about breaking into New York’s 103.5 FM she says,
“The DJs were all Hispanic and Italian; they didn’t have a Black — Blackie at your service … I hopped in my Subaru and drove up to the radio station in Astoria,Queens. I showed up at the radio station at midnight and they loved me. Ironically speaking, you know what he loved about me? He loved that my skin was black and my delivery was white.”
Check out this YouTube video to hear Ms. Williams in her own, candid words.
- Lee Daniels, L.A. Reid to Speak at Mariah Carey’s Hollywood Star Ceremony
- Chicago Police Tow Car With Deceased Bodies Inside...Public Raises Hell! (Watch)
- Cops Kept Rihanna from Performing Free Freddie Gray Concert
- Steven Ivory: GOP and Trump—Pot, Meet Kettle
- Report: Whitney Decides Where Fortune Goes; Bobby Screwed
- Hasselbeck: Sandra Bland Could've Used Cigarette as a Weapon (WATCH)
- Ralkina Jones: 3rd Black Woman in Two Weeks to Die in Jail Cell
- Rapper Styles P Reveals Daughter Committed Suicide
- Hulk Hogan Wonders Why Obama Can Use N-Word and Not Him in Retweet
- Joe Jackson Alert, Feeling Good After Stroke, Heart Attacks
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here