In a video courtesy of Mediabistro, the talk show maven tells how she got her first big break in radio. Fiercely focused, she landed in the Virgin Islands at WVIS radio with two very definitive insights.
“When I got to the island, there were a few things that I already knew. Number one: I am not here to make friends or fall in love. I gave myself one year to get a job on the mainland and get off the island. I had no time to make friends, because friends cost money and I had to use every dime that I made to call the states to schmooze program directors and try to get a job. So, I had no friends by design. I had no sex by design, because I couldn’t afford to slip up and get pregnant.”
In sharing about breaking into New York’s 103.5 FM she says,
“The DJs were all Hispanic and Italian; they didn’t have a Black — Blackie at your service … I hopped in my Subaru and drove up to the radio station in Astoria,Queens. I showed up at the radio station at midnight and they loved me. Ironically speaking, you know what he loved about me? He loved that my skin was black and my delivery was white.”
Check out this YouTube video to hear Ms. Williams in her own, candid words.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Police Erased Video of CLaquan McDonald Shooting: Burger King Manager
- Phaedra Blogs Support for Cynthia and Peter During Marital Drama
- Tyra Banks Not Feuding with Chrissy Teigen, Chooses Beauty Brand Over 'FABLife'
- Ebony Celebrates Black Power with Williams, Belafonte and Zendaya
- Boxer Yusaf Mack is Attracted to Transgenders; Inspired by Caitlyn Jenner
- Editorial: Instead of 'Is it Because I'm Black?' - Why Not, 'Is it Because You're White?'
- Whoa! This is T-Pain ... Performing Minus Auto Tune? (Watch/Listen)
- Dick Wolf: King of Crossovers Takes Chicago, Talks TV Dominance [EUR Exclusive]
- Jill Scott: ''Soul Train' Brought Soul Into Everyone’s House'
- Presenting Ice-T and Coco's New Baby: Chanel Nicole
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here