*Season 2 of the Starz original series “Boss” premieres Friday with new cast member Sanaa Lathan bringing all kinds of fresh challenges to Kelsey Grammer’s manipulative mayor of Chicago, Tom Kane.
As previously reported, Lathan plays Mona Fredricks, a principled political adviser who eventually becomes Kane’s Chief of Staff.
“Mona is a very smart, politically savvy woman who grew up on the South Side of Chicago,” Lathan told us at the recent TCA press tour. “She grew up in a community that was very disenfranchised, and I believe that she pursued politics to be an advocate for those people in that community.”
Throughout the season, Mona supports residents of a housing project called Lennox Gardens (think Cabrini Green). “She’s really concerned about the community there and wants to make sure that they’re not abandoned,” said Lathan. “And I think Kane is really the only one who can do something about it, so when she has the opportunity to work with him, she takes it.”
As for any sparks flying between Mona and the mayor, Lathan warns, “It’s really about the community. It’s not really about her admiration or devotion with him.
“He takes a little bit more interest in me than is political,” she admits. “You will have to watch and see what happens.”
In an upcoming episode, Mona goes back to Lennox Gardens, where Kane believes she has a lot of influence, only to find out that the residents there no longer trust her. The scene was shot inside of Chicago’s real Cabrini Green housing projects. Below, both Kelsey and Sanaa describe what it was like to film there, and what the residents thought of Hollywood coming into their neighborhood.
“Boss” season 2 premieres Friday, Aug. 17 at 8 p.m. Watch the trailer below.
- K. Michelle Performs at Sold Out Honey Jam Concert, Joined By 'Rebels'
- Browns Suspicious Houstons Will Sneak Pic of Bobbi Kristina's Body: Report
- DIY Zen Living: Make the Most of Whatever Outdoor Space You Have
- The Wiz Casting, Bobbi Kristina, Racial Profiling App, Janet Jackson & More| BHL
- Whoa! Baltimore Sees 43 Homicides in July - A 43 Year Record for A Single Month
- Family Dynamics Cause Scare in Saturday's 'Flex & Shanice' (WATCH)
- Janet Jackson Continues Tour Rehearsal, Set to Perform at iHeartRadio Festival
- Lauryn Hill Performs Nina Simone’s ‘Feeling Good’ on ‘Fallon’ (Watch)
- Azealia Banks Shades Erykah Badu for Having Multiple Baby Daddies
- Teyonah Parris’ Hair Becomes Storyline for ‘Survivor’s Remorse’ Season 2
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here