*Season 2 of the Starz original series “Boss” premieres Friday with new cast member Sanaa Lathan bringing all kinds of fresh challenges to Kelsey Grammer’s manipulative mayor of Chicago, Tom Kane.
As previously reported, Lathan plays Mona Fredricks, a principled political adviser who eventually becomes Kane’s Chief of Staff.
“Mona is a very smart, politically savvy woman who grew up on the South Side of Chicago,” Lathan told us at the recent TCA press tour. “She grew up in a community that was very disenfranchised, and I believe that she pursued politics to be an advocate for those people in that community.”
Throughout the season, Mona supports residents of a housing project called Lennox Gardens (think Cabrini Green). “She’s really concerned about the community there and wants to make sure that they’re not abandoned,” said Lathan. “And I think Kane is really the only one who can do something about it, so when she has the opportunity to work with him, she takes it.”
As for any sparks flying between Mona and the mayor, Lathan warns, “It’s really about the community. It’s not really about her admiration or devotion with him.
“He takes a little bit more interest in me than is political,” she admits. “You will have to watch and see what happens.”
In an upcoming episode, Mona goes back to Lennox Gardens, where Kane believes she has a lot of influence, only to find out that the residents there no longer trust her. The scene was shot inside of Chicago’s real Cabrini Green housing projects. Below, both Kelsey and Sanaa describe what it was like to film there, and what the residents thought of Hollywood coming into their neighborhood.
“Boss” season 2 premieres Friday, Aug. 17 at 8 p.m. Watch the trailer below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 3 Things to Do NOW to Transform Your Life (WATCH)
- The Kobie Chronicles: 'Red, White & Baltimore' Premiere As Freddie Gray Trials Commence
- Lamar Odom's Lucky Break: Prosecution for Cocaine Possession Unlikely
- Why?! Well Known Black Ministers Set to Meet With Trump
- Movie Watch: Big Weekend for Creed, The Good Dinosaur, Victor Frankenstein
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Walt Disney’s 'The Good Dinosaur' is a Story of a Bond of Two Unlikely Friends
- Naughty by Nature Hitting the Road to Celebrate 25th Anniversary
- EURweb Covers the 'Creed' Movie Premiere (WATCH)
- Jasmyne Cannick: Before Cops Encourage the Public to Snitch Maybe They Should Lead By Example (VIDEO)
- Taye Diggs on ‘Rosewood’ Gig: ‘I Knew It Was Going to Be Fun’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here