*Yahoo News fired its Washington bureau chief on Wednesday, less than 24 hours after he was caught on an open microphone saying that Mitt Romney and his wife, at the GOP convention in Florida while Hurricane Isaac threatened Louisiana, were “happy to have a party with black people drowning.”
Company spokeswoman Anne Espiritu said Wednesday that David Chalian’s remark was inappropriate and does not represent Yahoo’s views, report the Associated Press.
“We have already reached out to the Romney campaign, and we apologize to Mitt Romney, his staff, their supporters and anyone who was offended,” she said.
Chalian made the remark during a hot-mic moment before Yahoo began its live coverage of the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., on Tuesday evening. Yahoo is streaming coverage in association with ABC News.
The website Newsbusters posted a copy of the video and the audio. The video showed Ann and Mitt Romney, a former Massachusetts governor, while the audio picked up background conversation, not all of it intelligible, about the Republican convention taking place as Isaac was about to hit the Louisiana coast.
Someone makes a remark, “they’re not concerned at all.” In a clearer voice, Chalian says, “they are happy to have a party with black people drowning.”
Chalian said Wednesday that he was “profoundly sorry for making an inappropriate and thoughtless joke.”
“I was commenting on the challenge of staging a convention during a hurricane and about campaign optics,” he said. “I have apologized to the Romney campaign, and I want to take this opportunity to publicly apologize to governor and Mrs. Romney.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Jennifer Hudson Signs W/ Epic Records
- Stacey Dash Announces Her Own Political Party, 'Dash America'
- Trick Daddy is Spitting Mad ... About Some Woman in Viral Video
- BET Drops Trailer for New Edition Biopic [Watch]
- WNBA's Candace Parker Shares Handwritten Recruitment Letter from Pat Summitt
- No Designers Wanted to Dress Leslie Jones for 'Ghostbusters' Red Carpet
- Drake Struggles With 'Work Banter' in Cut ‘SNL’ Sketch (Watch)
- Stranger Defends Teen Harassed for Selling Candy Outside Target (Watch)
- Chris Brown Responds to Recent Exits from ‘People Claiming to Be My Team’
- Shirley Caesar Receives Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame (Watch Full Ceremony)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here