*Yahoo News fired its Washington bureau chief on Wednesday, less than 24 hours after he was caught on an open microphone saying that Mitt Romney and his wife, at the GOP convention in Florida while Hurricane Isaac threatened Louisiana, were “happy to have a party with black people drowning.”
Company spokeswoman Anne Espiritu said Wednesday that David Chalian’s remark was inappropriate and does not represent Yahoo’s views, report the Associated Press.
“We have already reached out to the Romney campaign, and we apologize to Mitt Romney, his staff, their supporters and anyone who was offended,” she said.
Chalian made the remark during a hot-mic moment before Yahoo began its live coverage of the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., on Tuesday evening. Yahoo is streaming coverage in association with ABC News.
The website Newsbusters posted a copy of the video and the audio. The video showed Ann and Mitt Romney, a former Massachusetts governor, while the audio picked up background conversation, not all of it intelligible, about the Republican convention taking place as Isaac was about to hit the Louisiana coast.
Someone makes a remark, “they’re not concerned at all.” In a clearer voice, Chalian says, “they are happy to have a party with black people drowning.”
Chalian said Wednesday that he was “profoundly sorry for making an inappropriate and thoughtless joke.”
“I was commenting on the challenge of staging a convention during a hurricane and about campaign optics,” he said. “I have apologized to the Romney campaign, and I want to take this opportunity to publicly apologize to governor and Mrs. Romney.”
- Kanye Babysits Kourtney's Kid After Bust-up with Scott Disick
- Cynthia Bailey Responds to NeNe Leaving RHOA
- Maybe We Can't Solve World Hunger...But We Can Put a Serious Dent in It By Doing This!
- George Takei Apologizes for Calling Clarence Thomas 'Clown in Blackface'
- ‘Empire’s’ Kaitlin Doubleday Looking Forward to Chris Rock, Alicia Keys
- Paula Deen Says She Didn't Post the Brownface Pic; Her Twitter Handler Did
- Rick Ross Released from Jail after Posting $2 Million Bail
- FSU’s De’Andre Johnson Says Woman Called Him N-Word Before he Hit Her (Report)
- Bobbi Kristina’s Hospice Room Filled with Whitney’s Music, Photos, Scented Candles (Report)
- Donovan McNabb Arrested on Suspicion of DUI - Again
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here