*It’s hard to believe the court would grant it, but in Florida, George Zimmerman, the accused killer of unarmed teenaged killer Trayvon Martin, is seeking a hearing to have the charges against him dismissed based on the state’s “stand your ground” law.
Zimmerman’s attorney, Mark O’Mara, said on his website that the evidence shows that Zimmerman, 28, shot Trayvon Martin in self-defense.
O’Mara likened the hearing to a “mini-trial” with testimony by experts and other witnesses.
Under the stand-your-ground law, a defendant who claims self-defense is entitled to a hearing to determine whether he was in fear for his life. If he was, the law says he had the right to use lethal force and the charges are dropped.
The decision will be made by Circuit Court Judge Kenneth Lester.
“This is a significant issue,” says Michelle Jacobs, a defense attorney and law professor at the University of Florida. The hearing, she says, will decide whether the case goes forward to trial.
Zimmerman and Trayvon, 17, got into a fight Feb. 26 at a gated complex of townhouses in Sanford. When it was over, Trayvon had been shot dead.
Zimmerman says he was in fear for his life when Trayvon slammed his head into the concrete. The prosecution says Zimmerman followed Trayvon and confronted him for no reason other than that he was a black teen in a hoodie.
Read/learn more at USA Today.
- Black Lives Matter Members React to Fox News with Love
- Fellas Define Feminism At MTV VMAs (Watch)
- Ten Years After Hurricane Katrina: Changing Hearts, Minds and Systems in New Orleans
- Eunice Moseley Featured Expert in Dr. Logan Westbrooks’ ‘The Anatomy of the Music Industry’
- Best Ranking of the Most Badass Fictional Weapons
- THE (09-04-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Deya Direct Takes the Man Whisperer Conversation to the Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion!
- Student Who Made Light of Deputy's Death Online, and Showed Support for #Blacklivesmatter, Arrested
- Inside Broadway: A Conversation with Broadway Veteran Chapman Roberts
- Teyana Taylor Expecting First Child with Iman Shumpert
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here