*It’s hard to believe the court would grant it, but in Florida, George Zimmerman, the accused killer of unarmed teenaged killer Trayvon Martin, is seeking a hearing to have the charges against him dismissed based on the state’s “stand your ground” law.
Zimmerman’s attorney, Mark O’Mara, said on his website that the evidence shows that Zimmerman, 28, shot Trayvon Martin in self-defense.
O’Mara likened the hearing to a “mini-trial” with testimony by experts and other witnesses.
Under the stand-your-ground law, a defendant who claims self-defense is entitled to a hearing to determine whether he was in fear for his life. If he was, the law says he had the right to use lethal force and the charges are dropped.
The decision will be made by Circuit Court Judge Kenneth Lester.
“This is a significant issue,” says Michelle Jacobs, a defense attorney and law professor at the University of Florida. The hearing, she says, will decide whether the case goes forward to trial.
Zimmerman and Trayvon, 17, got into a fight Feb. 26 at a gated complex of townhouses in Sanford. When it was over, Trayvon had been shot dead.
Zimmerman says he was in fear for his life when Trayvon slammed his head into the concrete. The prosecution says Zimmerman followed Trayvon and confronted him for no reason other than that he was a black teen in a hoodie.
Read/learn more at USA Today.
- Black Women Fastest Growing Group of Entrepreneurs in U.S
- Once Homeless and Alone in NYC, Man Receives Yale Scholarship
- Rihanna’s BET Appearance Was Simply Marketing Trickery
- America: A Nation Under Sin or Love?
- Diddy's Fall, Racist Arsonists, Nene Leakes and More News! | BHL's This Week
- WATCH: Deleted Scene from 'Home' Starring Rihanna, Jim Parsons
- Motorist Sues Bobbi Kristina as Family Prepares for Her Funeral
- Goodbye Clippers, Hello Mavericks! DeAndre Bolts from LA to Dallas
- Oprah is Hiring - 2015 Jobs Available in L.A. and N.Y.
- Lee England, Jr: You've Never Heard Violin Like This! (Covers Bey, Adele and Yeah, Mozart Too!) Photos
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here