*It’s hard to believe the court would grant it, but in Florida, George Zimmerman, the accused killer of unarmed teenaged killer Trayvon Martin, is seeking a hearing to have the charges against him dismissed based on the state’s “stand your ground” law.
Zimmerman’s attorney, Mark O’Mara, said on his website that the evidence shows that Zimmerman, 28, shot Trayvon Martin in self-defense.
O’Mara likened the hearing to a “mini-trial” with testimony by experts and other witnesses.
Under the stand-your-ground law, a defendant who claims self-defense is entitled to a hearing to determine whether he was in fear for his life. If he was, the law says he had the right to use lethal force and the charges are dropped.
The decision will be made by Circuit Court Judge Kenneth Lester.
“This is a significant issue,” says Michelle Jacobs, a defense attorney and law professor at the University of Florida. The hearing, she says, will decide whether the case goes forward to trial.
Zimmerman and Trayvon, 17, got into a fight Feb. 26 at a gated complex of townhouses in Sanford. When it was over, Trayvon had been shot dead.
Zimmerman says he was in fear for his life when Trayvon slammed his head into the concrete. The prosecution says Zimmerman followed Trayvon and confronted him for no reason other than that he was a black teen in a hoodie.
Read/learn more at USA Today.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Kalenna, Star of 'Love and Hip Hop' to Mingle With Fans
- The Case of Bobbi Kristina Brown 'Still Open and Under Investigation'
- Beyonce Drops 'Formation' A New Song & Video (Watch)
- TV One Boldly Launches New Brand Identity 'Represent'
- Bounce TV's Black History Month Tributes a Stirring Line-up
- Pantene Enlists NFL Players for Dad and Daughter Hair Campaign [WATCH]
- The Complete List of Winners from the 47th NAACP Image Awards
- Woman Crashes Own Funeral, Shocking Husband Who Paid to Have Her Killed
- Coastal Town Being 'Targeted' by Great White Sharks
- NFL Great Jim Brown Celebrates 80th Birthday with Celebs and Family
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here