*NEW YORK, NY – The 16th Annual Urbanworld Film Festival, presented by BET Networks, has announced the winners of the narrative feature, documentary feature, narrative short, screenplay, teleplay and audience award categories.
The five-day festival was held September 19-23 and concluded today with an awards reception at Tribeca Grill Loft, sponsored by Warner Bros. Pictures and HBO® and hosted by actors Stephen Hill (Barbasol) and Tracy Heggins (The Last / First Kiss, Cherry Waves).
Urbanworld, which screened 49 films this year (including 17 world premieres), is the largest internationally competitive festival dedicated to the exhibition of independent cinema by and about people of color.
The 16th Annual Urbanworld Film Festival winners are:
Best Narrative Feature
FOUR – Directed by Joshua Sanchez
Wolf – Directed by Ya’Ke Smith
Best Narrative Short
RECORD/PLAY – Directed by Jesse Atlas
“Forever In Hiatus” – Directed by Andy Nguyen
Best Documentary Feature
SOUL FOOD JUNKIES – Directed by Byron Hurt
Jake Shimabukuro: Life on 4 Strings – Directed by Tadashi Nakamura
“AGENT 12 & THE MESSIAH STONE” – Written by Peter Lord
Escaping Bushwick – Written by Javier Ortiz
“NALA’S HEART” – Written by Pauline Gray
BARBASOL – Best Short
Directed by Ralph Scott
DOIN’ IT IN THE PARK – Best Feature
Co-Directed by Kevin Couliau & Bobbito Garcia
The 16th Annual Urbanworld Film Festival Jurors are:
NARRATIVE FEATURES JURORS
- Dori Begley, Senior Vice President of Acquisitions, Magnolia Pictures
- Nikkole Denson-Randolph, Vice President, Specialty & Alternative Content, AMC Theatres
- Lisa Cortes, Producer, Cortes Films
- Rashaad Ernesto Green, Writer/Director, Mi Alma Films
- James Lopez, Senior Vice President, Production, Screen Gems / Sony Pictures Entertainment
NARRATIVE SHORTS JURORS
- Artel Great, Award Winning Filmmaker & Film Historian
- Nick Hall, Vice President, HBO Entertainment
- Niija Kuykendall, Vice President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures
- Tambay Obenson, Chief Editor, Shadow & Act
- Frida Torresblanco, Producer, Braven Film
DOCUMENTARY FEATURED JURORS
- Michael Eric Dyson, Author, Professor, & Cultural Critic
- Jackie Glover, Vice President, Documentary Films, HBO
- Carleen L. Hsu, Producer, The Kitchen Sync Group, Inc.
- Franklin Leonard, Vice President, Creative Affairs, Overbrook Entertainment
- Connie Orlando, Vice President, Original Programming, BET Networks
- Jacque Edmonds Coffer, Executive Producer, Let’s Stay Together, BET
- Jocelyn Freid, Vice President, Original Programming, BET Networks
- Erica Montolfo, Executive Producer, The Game, BET
For more information on the Urbanworld Film Festival, visit www.urbanworld.org.
The Urbanworld® Film Festival, founded in 1997 by Stacy Spikes, is the largest internationally competitive festival of its kind. The five-day festival includes narrative features, documentaries, and short films, as well as panel discussions, live staged screenplay readings, and the Urbanworld® Digital track focused on digital and social media. Over the last fifteen years, Hollywood studios, indie film distributors, and established and emerging filmmakers have consistently chosen Urbanworld® to premiere box office and award-winning hits. Urbanworld® has also provided a platform for some of today’s leading brands seeking to reach key influencers across the industry and within the consumer marketplace. The Urbanworld® Film Festival is an initiative of the Urbanworld® Foundation Inc., a nonprofit organization that endeavors to consistently manifest its mission of redefining and advancing the roles of multicultural constituents in contemporary filmed entertainment. By implementing initiatives that actively support and develop content creators of color, Urbanworld significantly contributes to the evolution of the media and entertainment landscape and the diversity that it reflects. Gabrielle Glore serves as Executive Producer & Head of Programming for the Urbanworld Film Festival. The festival website is www.urbanworld.org.
ABOUT BET NETWORKS
BET Networks, a subsidiary of Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), is the nation’s leading provider of quality entertainment, music, news and public affairs television programming for the African-American audience. The primary BET channel reaches more than 90 million households and can be seen in the United States, Canada, the Caribbean, the United Kingdom and sub-Saharan Africa. BET is the dominant African-American consumer brand with a diverse group of business extensions: BET.com, a leading Internet destination for Black entertainment, music, culture, and news; CENTRIC, a 24-hour entertainment network targeting the 25- to 54-year-old African-American audience; BET Digital Networks – BET Gospel and BET Hip Hop, attractive alternatives for cutting-edge entertainment tastes; BET Home Entertainment, a collection of BET-branded offerings for the home environment including DVDs and video-on-demand; BET Event Productions, a full-scale event management and production company with festivals and live events spanning the globe; BET Mobile, which provides ringtones, games and video content for wireless devices; and BET International, which operates BET in the United Kingdom and oversees the extension of BET network programming for global distribution.
The 135th Street Agency
- Rihanna’s BET Appearance Was Simply Marketing Trickery
- America: A Nation Under Sin or Love?
- Diddy's Fall, Racist Arsonists, Nene Leakes and More News! | BHL's This Week
- WATCH: Deleted Scene from 'Home' Starring Rihanna, Jim Parsons
- Motorist Sues Bobbi Kristina as Family Prepares for Her Funeral
- Goodbye Clippers, Hello Mavericks! DeAndre Bolts from LA to Dallas
- Oprah is Hiring - 2015 Jobs Available in L.A. and N.Y.
- Lee England, Jr: You've Never Heard Violin Like This! (Covers Bey, Adele and Yeah, Mozart Too!) Photos
- Kim Burrell Returns with 'Thank You Jesus'
- Ava DuVernay WON'T Be Directing Marvel's 'Black Panther'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here