*The Third Annual Apollo in the Hamptons that took place on Saturday, August 11, 2012 was a big success having raised a whopping $2 million plus — making it one of the Apollo Theater’s largest fundraisers of the year according to the legendary theater’s president and CEO Jonelle Procope.
The rainy evening did not deter guests who anteed up as much as $5,000 individually to attend the glamorous event at Apollo Theater board member Ronald Perelman’s East Hampton estate named “The Creeks.” Some 260 very rich guests dined on a menu especially prepared under the direction of Apollo board member and Red Rooster’s chef/restaurateur Marcus Samuelsson.
This year’s event was directed by rapper, producer and entrepreneur Pharrell Williams and featured iconic singers who jammed to soul music under the direction of ace musical director Ray Chew and his soulful band. This year’s Night of Legends roster included the Isley Brothers, Jon Bon Jovi with Richie Sambora, Usher, Paul McCarthy & Jennifer Hudson who had everyone up on their feet and dancing to a medley of Whitney Houston’s music.
Hudson’s stellar showmanship was contagious as she left the stage and winded through the crowd dancing with lots of rich “somebodies.” She claimed the evening! Newcomer Leah Labelle held her own which was no easy task having to come behind such notable legends.
The Apollo Theater is a not-for-profit organization and proceeds from this event benefit the Apollo’s education, community and artistic programs. Apollo chairman Richard “Dick” Parsons along with Perelman thanked everyone for their unwavering support and recognized Procope for the exemplary job she’s doing at the historic venue.
During the event, guests sang happy 95th birthday to Perelman’s father Raymond Perelman. Guests left with swag bags filled with Revlon products and a T-Shirt commemorating another fabulous Apollo production which swept guests off their feet
Audrey J. Bernard is an established chronicler of Black society and Urban happenings based in the New York City area.
- Rosie O’Donnell Checks Elisabeth Hasselbeck for Calling #BlackLivesMatter a Hate Group
- Perspective on Harris Co. Deputy's Death by Project 21 Member Who Served with Him
- RHOA Fight: Cynthia Bailey Kicked Porsha Williams in the Stomach (Report)
- James Bond Author Now ‘Sorry’ for Calling Idris Elba ‘Too Street’
- Janet Jackson Drops Missy Elliott Collabo at ‘Unbreakable’ Tour Launch (Clips)
- Bay Area Man Finds Twenty Dollars and Uses it to Win $1 Million!
- Health: Is Your Pee Trying to Tell You Something?
- Soul of the US Open: Serena Walks Over; Venus Grinds to Victory; Sloane Stephens Dismissed Early
- New James Bond Author Says Idris Elba is ‘Too Street’ to Play 007
- Bill O’Reilly Vows to Put #BlackLivesMatter Out of Business, Compares Group to KKK (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here