*The Third Annual Apollo in the Hamptons that took place on Saturday, August 11, 2012 was a big success having raised a whopping $2 million plus — making it one of the Apollo Theater’s largest fundraisers of the year according to the legendary theater’s president and CEO Jonelle Procope.
The rainy evening did not deter guests who anteed up as much as $5,000 individually to attend the glamorous event at Apollo Theater board member Ronald Perelman’s East Hampton estate named “The Creeks.” Some 260 very rich guests dined on a menu especially prepared under the direction of Apollo board member and Red Rooster’s chef/restaurateur Marcus Samuelsson.
This year’s event was directed by rapper, producer and entrepreneur Pharrell Williams and featured iconic singers who jammed to soul music under the direction of ace musical director Ray Chew and his soulful band. This year’s Night of Legends roster included the Isley Brothers, Jon Bon Jovi with Richie Sambora, Usher, Paul McCarthy & Jennifer Hudson who had everyone up on their feet and dancing to a medley of Whitney Houston’s music.
Hudson’s stellar showmanship was contagious as she left the stage and winded through the crowd dancing with lots of rich “somebodies.” She claimed the evening! Newcomer Leah Labelle held her own which was no easy task having to come behind such notable legends.
The Apollo Theater is a not-for-profit organization and proceeds from this event benefit the Apollo’s education, community and artistic programs. Apollo chairman Richard “Dick” Parsons along with Perelman thanked everyone for their unwavering support and recognized Procope for the exemplary job she’s doing at the historic venue.
During the event, guests sang happy 95th birthday to Perelman’s father Raymond Perelman. Guests left with swag bags filled with Revlon products and a T-Shirt commemorating another fabulous Apollo production which swept guests off their feet
Audrey J. Bernard is an established chronicler of Black society and Urban happenings based in the New York City area.
- Joe Jackson Alert, Feeling Good After Stroke, Heart Attacks
- Stan Sheppard: 'Why Do A&R Directors Positions Still Exist?'
- Dr. Rosie Milligan: It's Time for Black Leadership to Make Sense
- Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone and Others Portrayed in 'A Night With Janis Joplin'
- The Socialist's Journal: Derek Luke
- Bobby Brown Speaks On Bobbi Kristina’s Death
- Nappywood’s 3rd L.A. Natural Hair & Lifestyle Expo Attracts Stars
- THE (07-28-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- NYC Principal Commits Suicide After Found Cheating on Common Core Test, DOE Releases Statement (Video)
- Gilbert Arenas' Deadly Accuracy Gets Him Banned From County Fair
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here